Links on this page may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Real Name
    Muttley

I think I'll ultimately resist any strange urges to get a Nikon DF. I just can't see myself ever going back to a DSLR. And if I did, it would be because I want all the modern and high tech aspects of DSLR, not for the retro looks.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current X-Lineup: XF1 hoping for a X-Pro2, but XT1 arrives next week.

2. The following member thanks Armanius for this post:

Which is a wise thing to do. To me the primary reason for considering the Df is the big pixel size (with its advantages for dynamic range, color accuracy and tonality) and the DoF characteristics for this camera size. The better handling/comfort and speed is less of a a reason. At this point, however, I am pretty sure that these benefits do not justify the additional investment (I just got a quote of my AD). I am also interested in the A7 (less and less in the A7R) but I don't know how it feels in the hand. Or perhaps I should just wait until the Fuji 56mm hits the market. To be continued... It's fun, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    I think I'll ultimately resist any strange urges to get a Nikon DF. I just can't see myself ever going back to a DSLR. And if I did, it would be because I want all the modern and high tech aspects of DSLR, not for the retro looks.

actually, imo, the primary reason to consider the df is if you have a stockpile of nikon glass. or if you have no glass and wanna start out FF. otherwise i think its a nonstarter, even though this is a serious #%*+ piece of machinary! the analogue controls are awesome and seem well thought out--makes one wonder why fuji 'wasted' so much space on the xpro.
    Tony
    Fuji X100

Sure. But I have only one nikon lens left. So that's not a reason for me.

Real Name
    Muttley

Analog dials are nice. But like Pniev wrote above, if I can't have access to the dials without pulling my face off the VF, then that's no good. I'd love to have an ISO analog dial on the next XPro2 -- but it has to be located on the right side of the camera (when looking at the camera from behind). That shouldn't be too hard, because the Fuji's don't have a hump on the middle of the camera.

Another reason I don't care too much about DSLR's is the inability to have face detection (when not using live view). Only DSLR I can think of that offers face detection are Sony SLT's.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current X-Lineup: XF1 hoping for a X-Pro2, but XT1 arrives next week.

That Nikon is purrtyy.

Real Name
    romi gilles

purty big.

(Sent from another Galaxy - Tapatalk.)
    i'll take a pic while i'm at it.

x: x-t1 (two mistresses, then one left), x-e2 (the wife), x100s (divorced), x-e1 (broke up)

xf: 90mm (waiting for), 16mm (waiting for), 50-140mm WR (haz), 23mm (haz), 27mm (wearing), 56mm ((haz), 35mm ((haz), 14mm (haz), 18-55mm (sold)

Real Name
    Mark

I personally feel like the Df is an almost total design and marketing mess, kind of like the Honda CR-Z. The CR-Z is supposed to be both hybrid and sporty, and manages to be neither, and as such does not live up to its CRX pedigree. The Nikon Df looks good, of course, but unless you plan to spend a lot of time staring at it or photographing it with your x-mount cameras, looks only go so far. I really feel like Nikon should have gone full-in on retro, or not, but they've kind of half-assed everything and as such, it just looks like clunky retro icing on a thoroughly modern DSLR cake.

The D4 sensor in a small body is compelling, but all the other cost-cutting dressed as "retro styling" works against that sensor. I personally don't find anything "purer" about having annoying ergonomic things get in my way. To me the Fujis are a much better marriage of old and new, with a very sensible, practical approach to controls, ergonomics, and styling.

And the price... oof. If the Df lived in a vacuum, it might be a more compelling camera--but you can have an (IMHO) vastly superior D800 for nearly the same price and without all the frippery. Want a "pure" photographic experience? Use an old manual focus Nikon lens on the D800 and shoot it in M. Better yet, do the same on a D200, and you'll have an ISO range that more closely resembles film! :lol:
    Last edited by markitos; January 20th, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
    |X-E2|X-E1|18 f/2|35 f/1.4|60 f/2.4 macro|18-55 f/2.8-4|55-200 f/3.5-4.8

10. The following member thanks markitos for this post:
    Real Name
    romi gilles

you mean, the cr-z, right?

i'll take a pic while i'm at it.

x: x-t1 (two mistresses, then one left), x-e2 (the wife), x100s (divorced), x-e1 (broke up)

xf: 90mm (waiting for), 16mm (waiting for), 50-140mm WR (haz), 23mm (haz), 27mm (wearing), 56mm ((haz), 35mm ((haz), 14mm (haz), 18-55mm (sold)

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by romi.gilles View Post
    you mean, the cr-z, right?

Yes, sorry, the CR-Z...
    |X-E2|X-E1|18 f/2|35 f/1.4|60 f/2.4 macro|18-55 f/2.8-4|55-200 f/3.5-4.8