Fuji Zhou Half Cases for the X100

Thanks David!!

I have a black colored Zhou half case for the M9. The fit is great and it has a little kidney shaped grip on the right that makes the M9 more ergonomic. The only beef I have against the case is that it leaves a black mark on the steel grey edge above the neckstrap eye loops. However, the black mark comes right off with a little bit of buffing. Still highly recommended and cheaper than the Luigi cases.

The eBay seller "pae7773" also has them available but only in black right now. I have one of his cases for my E-P2/E-PL1, (it interestingly fits both.) Good quality too but apparently we'll have a wait a bit if we want a color other than black. I picked up a dark brown A&A strap from Pop Flash a while ago for my X100. I'd never seen a dark brown one before offered from Artisan & Artist. Hence, why I'm waiting for the dark brown leather case.
. . . David

Armanius - Good point about the grip. On the pae7773 case I had on my E-P2 I found myself wrapping my middle, ring and "pinky" finger around the edge of the case that was closest to the lens. Not ideal. and I too like the grips, but it did work. Good luck with your case selection.
. . . David

Thanks, Don. 'Not sure I'm up for Luigi's price but I may well be won over. Generally I like the Zhou cases but this one looks almost hurriedly made up and it's missing the "famous" Zhou grip. I did have a Luigi case on my RD-1 and I must admit it was really nice. But then again I bought it used on eBay for about $70.
. . . Burkey

I generally don't like a lot "stuff" on my cameras but if we're traveling and stop for a beer/coffee/ice cream I have an uncanny knack for setting cameras in "pools of poo". I'm also pretty good at smacking the camera into door cases etc. especially when we're out and about walking around. Hence, the want of a half case of some sort eventually.
My wife is very supportive of my work but when add-ons start piling up after buying a new camera, a question or two from her is expected and sometimes quite frankly well warranted especially after a series of interrelated GAS attacks. ;)
. . . David

Well. . . . . I relinquished control and bought a Zhou half-case for my X100. Crash doors, door casings and stopping on the way home to fulfill one of the basic food groups - ice cream that is, are becoming a concern as I find myself carrying the X100 around in my shoulder bag.
1 and 1/2 more weeks of summer school teaching and I should be in a better posture to shoot more than I can now, so the Zhou case should prove beneficial. I'll post a picture of it on the camera when it arrives.
On a non-case related note, my Fuji hood and adapter are in route from Dirk at Japan Exposures so my minimalist pimping activity should be complete. Have a nice day.
. . . David

On my Zhou case for the M9, the black dye from the leather rubs off around the eyelets for the neck strap. But it's not a permanent stain on the steel grey body. I just take a rag and wipe it off.

Looking forward to seeing the case on the X100!

Thanks for explaining what you wrote. I understand it now. I usually wipe down any new leather case with a bit of liquid saddle soap when I get it. Maybe that will remove any extra dye left over from the manufacturing process. No word yet on the shipping of my Zhou case. I paid for expedited shipping so I'm hoping to see it fairly soon.
. . . David

Well, I emailed Mr. Zhou today to check on my order. Apparently he sold old quickly when the case was first placed up on eBay. From the "sold" column, mine appears at about the half-way mark in terms of who placed their order when. He told me mine would be made up in a couple of days.
. . . Burkey

'Just got my Zhou case. Overall it's pretty well made and I think the photos don't do it much justice. I like the brown color, it matches pretty well with the A&A brown strap I have on the camera.
To help with the problem of the f-stop ring rubbing on the case I trimmed a little bit off the bottom of the case with an "X-Acto" knife as in this first photo. I couldn't trim much as I was getting too close to the stitching and the bottom of the case. This helped a little.
p243127057-3.jpg

From my vantage point the biggest issue seems to be with the strap and lug on the left side of the camera, (from the photographer's point of view.) The strap of the case has to go behind the the camera strap and causes the camera strap to stick out a bit as noted in this picture.
p209924809-3.jpg

Overall I think it's a useable case but certainly needs a design update which I hear is in the works. I'll keep the case and use it for now as we will be traveling the end of the week. I'll most likely try another case eventually. 'Just some thoughts I hope are helpful.
Please pardon the iPhone photos. Also posted over on the X100 forum.
. . . David

Back