Panasonic Panasonic GF3 and 25mm f/1.4 announced officially.

soundimageplus

Top Veteran
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 09.34.37.png

YouTube - ‪Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 preview‬‏
This is in Dutch but it has really nice shots of the camera and lens.

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 08.27.26.png

DMC-GF3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 08.26.39.png

Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

From Dpreview -
Panasonic DMC GF3 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Panasonic unveils Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 lens: Digital Photography Review

43Rumors has lots of links to review and sample pages -
43 Rumors | Blog | (Continually updated) Panasonic GF3 and Leica lens announced!

Samples from the lens on the Panasonic website -
Sample Images | LUMIX G™ MICRO SYSTEM | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Samples from the lens on the omuser website -
http://www.omuser.com/viewthread.php?tid=158628&extra=page=1&page=1

Lots of photos from Photography Blog -
Panasonic GF3 Photos | PhotographyBLOG
Panasonic GF3 Hands-On Preview | PhotographyBLOG
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 | PhotographyBLOG
Panasonic 25mm Lens Photos | PhotographyBLOG
Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for Micro Four Thirds | PhotographyBLOG

More links from 1001 Noisy Cameras -
New Panasonic GF3 is revealed (lots of samples and previews) - 1001 Noisy Cameras
New Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 (M43rds) lens - 1001 Noisy Cameras

plus Panasonic apparently planning "serious" GF camera -
Panasonic planning serious GF-series camera, GH-series a priority - 1001 Noisy Cameras

Video - in Dutch
<iframe src="
" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

Video- in Italian
<iframe src="

Video - in Russian
<iframe src="

Pretty pricey, I'll stick with my nikon 50mm f/1.8D for now. I just purchased a GF1 so i would rather invest in a viewfinder to make life easier with the manual control. But don't get me wrong, That's a beutiful lens from what I've seen so far.....Just not in the budget.:mad:

No hotshoe? No EVF? Fail, for me.

I'm with Kyte on this one. I got a little excited spying what I though was a viewfinder...but alas only the pop-up flash. And no hot-shoe cuts down the options, similar to the NEX until the aftermarketeers came to the rescue with the accessory 'hot-shoe'.

Were manufacturers not listening to us when they saw the slaes figures and sheer market demand for the Fuji x100? Oh well, someone, other than Fuji and Leica might get it one day...meanwhile, PASS!

I have to assume that the simultaneous launch of the lens and camera was coincidental given that they sit at the top and bottom of the range respectively. I think that both will sell well. The GF3 doesn't seem to be aimed at existing customers, but to attract new buyers at the lower end. At the listed price I wouldn't even consider the lens, but it has the right name to sell for that much.

I have to assume that the simultaneous launch of the lens and camera was coincidental given that they sit at the top and bottom of the range respectively. I think that both will sell well. The GF3 doesn't seem to be aimed at existing customers, but to attract new buyers at the lower end. At the listed price I wouldn't even consider the lens.

Pretty much agree with that. The camera isn't a surprise, either since its been well trailed in advance or with the competition. It does strike me they missed a trick by not putting the G3 sensor in it. That would have been, in the short term, real competition for the NEX, assuming that they see themselves as Sony's competitors.

The lens looks nice and I'm sure it will perform well, but it will be interesting to see how it compares with the 20mm f/1.7. Certainly the 4/3 25mm f/1.4 was only marginally better than the 20mm, from the copies I had. For three times the price I think I'd want a "wow" factor there.

You're probably right about the sensor. Megapixels sell cameras, especially in the case of the G3 where the extra resolution seems to be a worthwhile improvement and more than just a bigger number. Either way the GF3 should really be a price leader amongst mirrorless cameras, especially with "only" 12 MP.

As for the 25/1.4, it is going to need to be REAL good to justify it's price.

Back