Leica Showcase Leica M Image Thread

I have been enjoying the images in this thread. I recently purchased an M8 so I'll post some here from time to time.

Here's one I setup and captured today as part of an assignment I was doing for a photography course. Pretty boring subject matter but that's what they asked for!

Taken with the M8 and Hexanon 50/2 wide open.

Attachments

• ASS2.jpg
    ASS2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 163
HI There
Love the Charlatans shot Kai - no dust on them!

I think the watch and hydrangea shot works pretty well - and if it was an assignment

here's one from late evening after a sauna in our garden:

emmaandcaspar.jpg

M9 75 'cron at f2 1/10th second.

Nothing too exciting but I haven't posted anything here in a while. We were at the zoo and they had one of those sprinklers that cool you off as you walk by. My son took it upon himself to take it a little further than simply cool off.... he wanted to get drenched

5886756130_8d67a05b85_z.jpg

L1005056 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

5886755366_69571e9b7d_z.jpg

L1005043 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

5886187485_5e6e1b7697_z.jpg

L1005041 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

Leica M9 with 50mm Summilux Asph. All shot at f/2.8.

Great photos from you as well....

As for focus, it simply takes practice.... Believe me, I don't nail it 100%. Something I learned a many years ago:
* If the subjects tend to be close, always start from close focus and work your way to infinity.
* If the subjects tend to be far, always start from infinity and work you way to close focus.
* Immediately after taking the photo, return the focus ring back to where you started... infinity or close, again, depending on the subject distance.
* You can make small adjustments by shifting your body forwards and backwards.. helps for subjects that are moving slightly.
* Keep in mind that when you recompose with a turn of the body, the focus plane falls behind the original subject. When shooting wide open, I sometimes lean my head back a bit to compensate (bring the focus plane forward ever so slightly).

The idea is to only turn the focus ring quickly in only one direction rather than hunt back and forth; a bad habit many pickup with manual focus SLRs. It also helps to put a priority on keeping a high enough shutter rather than obsess over shooting at the lowest ISO resulting in shutter settings a bit too slow.

Thanks....

Spent the evening after work at the local Carnival.

5893315047_9d37b38005_z.jpg

L1005241 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

It took a couple shots to get the exposure right wish I had a handheld with me at the time. Basically, metered the grass just below the lights and with 2+ stops. I ended up 1/45 @ f/2.8 on an M9 with 35mm f/1.2 Nokton. Color balance and saturation in post.

I'm always surprised at how leica images are always soooo crisp - probably due to the lack of an AA filter?

In part to the weaker AA filter BUT I'd say the optics contribute more. I have images from both a 50mm Summarit (non-asph classical design) and 50mm Summilux Asph. Both are new lenses with modern coatings for a good comparison. A bit more apparent when viewing on better "media" but there is a definite "crispness" when shooting with Asphericals versions. Some like it and some don't. I've since sold the Summarit (too many 50s) but at times I prefer a different wine and refer to a 1950s vintage.... or even the even softer f/1 type.

btw.. thanks.

Posted something old.. now for something new.

I've never done IR photography ever.. not even on film. To my surprise, the M8 was achieving hand-holdable speeds with ISO160-640 w/ f/2.8 - f/5.6. The M9 was reporting exposures in the order of seconds. Still.. for best results, use a tripod. I haven't figured out how to process them properly so I just played around with white balance, contrast, black, and clarity in Lightroom and backed off the saturation to limit the reds...

5910399942_f38ac950e2_z.jpg

L1003574 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

5909840153_f5558748a0_z.jpg

L1003543 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

5910419256_d67232dd7b_z.jpg

L1003538 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

Lots of great shots - love the old building with the IR
Diedre I can feel the heat in your moroccan shot - excellent

My M9p arrived yesterday - 3 hours after I sold my grey M9 - all very convenient.

Here it is:

L5076856.jpg

(picture take with 75 'cron)

The sun shone briefly yesterday afternoon, so I slipped out and snapped away:

A couple with the 75 'cron:
L1070011.jpg

L1070019.jpg

and a couple with the 28 'cron

L1070034.jpg

L1070016.jpg

all the best

Thanks all for the photographs. So many great ones.

I have not had, and perhaps never will have, a Leica. But I enjoy looking at the results.

My M9p arrived yesterday - 3 hours after I sold my grey M9 - all very convenient.

Enjoy!

As for focus, it simply takes practice.... Believe me, I don't nail it 100%. Something I learned a many years ago:
* If the subjects tend to be close, always start from close focus and work your way to infinity.
* If the subjects tend to be far, always start from infinity and work you way to close focus.
* Immediately after taking the photo, return the focus ring back to where you started... infinity or close, again, depending on the subject distance.
* You can make small adjustments by shifting your body forwards and backwards.. helps for subjects that are moving slightly.
* Keep in mind that when you recompose with a turn of the body, the focus plane falls behind the original subject. When shooting wide open, I sometimes lean my head back a bit to compensate (bring the focus plane forward ever so slightly).

The idea is to only turn the focus ring quickly in only one direction rather than hunt back and forth; a bad habit many pickup with manual focus SLRs. It also helps to put a priority on keeping a high enough shutter rather than obsess over shooting at the lowest ISO resulting in shutter settings a bit too slow.

Very interesting. Thanks

Back