Click here to post a deal in Hot Deals.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Philadephila
    Posts
    468

    Fuji XF 14mm f/2.8 - A full workout...

    I've been on the fence about the new Fuji 14mm - I was pretty sure I was going to return it at first. I'm still not totally sure I'll keep it, but after a full day of shooting with it, I'm leaning that way. No question about the quality of the lens - it's excellent to say the least - but just whether I'll use it enough to justify. I spent yesterday in Philly, doing a combination of street shooting and scenic/architectural shooting. My shooting in the various underground rail stations and related tunnels actually drew the attention and a brief interview with the good folks from Homeland Security. I won't get into a discussion about rights - I had no problem with their concern - but if I suddenly disappear.... Anyway, first some scenics:

    Corner Examples

    And to do something I NEVER do, here are a couple of corner crops to show the sharpness and lack of CA (although these are jpegs and the shot is at f8, so its not exactly a stress test). The bottom corners are pretty close and slightly OOF, but these upper corners give you some idea...

    Upper Left

    Upper Right

    Philly Valentines Day-595

    Philly Valentines Day-415-Edit-2

    Philly Valentines Day-48-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-488-Edit

    And some street shooting:

    Philly Valentines Day-108-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-621-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-89-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-138-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-143-Edit

    One thing this lens is REALLY good for is low light street shooting. The DOF is so deep on this lens that you can zone focus with it really easily at f4 and even wide open at f2.8. With the X-Trans' excellent high ISO quality, this opens up a lot of possibilities, which I explored somewhat yesterday:

    Philly Valentines Day-68-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-552-Edit

    Philly Valentines Day-494-Edit

    Peeking, but not a duck:
    Philly Valentines Day-503-Edit

    I very rarely shoot the homeless and use anything I get even less, but this guy's look is hard to ignore:
    Philly Valentines Day-155-Edit

    So, there's no doubt in my mind that the 14mm is an excellent lens in any respect that matters. My only hesitance is still based on a combination of price and wondering if I'll use it enough to justify it. The other lenses I have similar costs into are the Olympus 12 and 75. The 12 is probably my most-used lens, so no question there. The 75 I don't use that much, but I can do things with it I can't do with ANY other lens and I value those things. This lens is a great wide lens, but I have the focal length well covered with the Olympus 9-18 and so its main "unique" capability is being able to zone focus with it in pretty low light. And I really love the manual focus "snap" ring that this lens shares with the Olympus 12 and 17, although Fuji's implementation is slightly different. As of today, it stays, but I've gone back and forth on this and I can't promise I won't again...

    -Ray
    Last edited by Ray Sachs; February 15th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

  2. The following 9 members thank Ray Sachs for this post:
  3. #2
    Tdp Guest
    Looks like you found a winner.

    Homeland Security got mad at you for taking photos from public ground? I thought if you were standing on public ground you could shoot anything you wanted.....

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    twin cities, minnesota
    Posts
    266
    Real Name
    Carl

    Great work-out for the lens, and great photos, Ray. Thanks for your (wide) perspectives. ;^) This works out to about a 10.5 mm on a m43, so wider than the Oly 12mm, but not quite as wide as the 9mm end of the 9-18mm Oly. (Not too surprisingly, I no longer compare lenses to full-frame, I compare them to m43 focals.)

    The fringing doesn't look to bad at the corners, I'd say less than the Oly 12mm, although differing aperture could affect that.

    Are you taking an m43 out also when shooting the Fuji?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    twin cities, minnesota
    Posts
    266
    Real Name
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdp View Post
    ... Homeland Security got mad at you for taking photos from public ground? I thought if you were standing on public ground you could shoot anything you wanted.....
    Sounds like a safe bet, but I'm also guessing HS can say, "Hi!" for just about anything they want. No arrest, no stopping of the activity, just, "Hey, how's it going?" ;^)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Philadephila
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by carlb View Post
    Great work-out for the lens, and great photos, Ray. Thanks for your (wide) perspectives. ;^) This works out to about a 10.5 mm on a m43, so wider than the Oly 12mm, but not quite as wide as the 9mm end of the 9-18mm Oly. (Not too surprisingly, I no longer compare lenses to full-frame, I compare them to m43 focals.)

    The fringing doesn't look to bad at the corners, I'd say less than the Oly 12mm, although differing aperture could affect that.

    Are you taking an m43 out also when shooting the Fuji?
    I usually just take one or the other, but I've occasionally taken both, with complimentary lenses. But I usually end up shooting with one camera and one or two lenses no matter what I'm carrying, so I'm learning not to prepare for the worst because my shoulder pays...

    -Ray

  7. The following member thanks Ray Sachs for this post:
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    189
    Real Name
    Adam

    Love that wide perspective! I'm addicted to the WCL on the X100, but this 21mm equivalent really pushes me toward getting an X-Pro1. Also, hooray for the Reading Terminal Market! One of my favorite places to shoot in Philly, and you got some terrific shots in there. Peking Duck and Bee Natural Amish are magnificent street shots. 30th St Station is epic, great angle and great color. The geometry and tonal range in Market/Broad is stunning. I could look at your shots all day.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    165
    love these, you know my vote I am keeping mine for sure

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Near Philadephila
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdp View Post
    Looks like you found a winner.

    Homeland Security got mad at you for taking photos from public ground? I thought if you were standing on public ground you could shoot anything you wanted.....
    He wasn't mad or discourteous at all. As the guy explained, the foundations for many of Philly's largest buildings are down there, so they're covering all bases. He just asked me a few questions and took down some information, which he told me I didn't have to offer up, but I have nothing to hide from those guys, just the occasional lens receipt to hide from my wife...

    Hell, if they can find anything dubious in my past, I'd like to know about it!

    -Ray

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    85
    Those are really great Ray. The one with the guy looking at the bas relief is fantastic! I a cop one time in downtown Dallas tell me I couldn't take pictures of a building because I could be a terrorist. No kidding. I argued with him about it. He wasn't real happy with me.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    He wasn't mad or discourteous at all. As the guy explained, the foundations for many of Philly's largest buildings are down there, so they're covering all bases. He just asked me a few questions and took down some information, which he told me I didn't have to offer up, but I have nothing to hide from those guys, just the occasional lens receipt to hide from my wife...

    Hell, if they can find anything dubious in my past, I'd like to know about it!

    -Ray
    Also, if the officers are the same ones, and if you frequent the location enough, they'll get used to you, and could even open up doors for other locations for shooting (that is, taking pictures -- caveat put in for HS automated internet text snooping mechanisms)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0