Canon Showcase Canon S90/S95 images - Show yours

Great idea, Andy - thanks! Lovely shot - a fern, maybe...though the head doesn't look like a fern to me. Perhaps a British fern? Beautiful close-up, and it's really quite lovely in black and white. I think I would prefer it in B&W to color.

When I was considering a new camera about a year ago this one was one that I really thought I was going to buy...and then I fell under the Olympus micro four thirds spell. Now the S95 is out and I am pretty sure Amin Sabet is going to do a review of it in the near future. There's something very compelling about a truly small camera with good controls and great image quality. I'm not really sure how small these cameras are. I have never seen one in real life, up close and personal - yet.

They are TINY :D My S90 measures 100cm across, 55cm tall and 30cm deep at the widest point with the lens retracted. The lens has a very neat ring round it that you can use to adjust aperture, ISO, exposure comp, Manual focus, white balance and zoom. As good as it is it can't get to the X1 standard!!

Here are a few from Tenerife:

View attachment 29453

4541368570_99a4e57e6e_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4520940728_188c153531_o.jpg

4755097121_649b627480_o.jpg

4755741454_3f36efd88f_o.jpg

Thanks for providing these images, guys. I'm about to get this camera because there are some situations that even my current camera is too large for. I know it's the photographer and not the camera, but I can judge things like JPEG color rendition that are out of the hands of the photographer from these samples. I hope to see more photos! I'll post mine when the S95 is finally in-stock at one of my preferred stores.

A few more S90 shots

Here are a few from a morning walk with my dog a couple of days ago. I guess the theme is "unoccupied spaces" because, you know, it was EARLY and who's gonna be out at that time of day? I have a small Flickr set of S90 specific shots also, here:

S90 shots - a set on Flickr

I seem to do mostly black and white, with a few color shots from time to time for seasoning.

-Ray

View attachment 29617

View attachment 29618

View attachment 29619

View attachment 29620

View attachment 29621

Thanks again, guys. I've ordered the S95 and it should be here next week. The faster lens of the competition tempted me, but the S95's size is just about perfect to be carried everywhere.

Can someone who has both take a photo of an S90/S95 alongside a GF1 or EPL1, please?

I've thought about getting a nice compact for my husband, who occasionally takes nice photos by accident. :)

Well, my S95 arrived today. At my parent's house. :redface: I forgot to change the shipping address to my University address. Two spare batteries and no camera - very disappointing.

Thanks, Ray!

I was trying to get a feel for relative size, got it now.

deirde - it is much smaller than the EP or G M43 cams - it easily fits in "the pocket" without any inconvenience

I have recently bought one based on the comments and images on here plus the small size - it is a prefect "carry around all the time" image taking machine

Back