Micro 4/3 Which G Serious Is Right For Me?

Photorx12

Regular
Your input helped me choose my handy S95, now I need help with a micro 4/3s.

Initially I was set on the EPL3, but I think that my X100 has spoiled me because I think a camera with a live view finder makes more sense. I would love to begin collecting some good legacy lenses and it seems that a camera with built in evf serves better than buying a cam then paying extra for an evf attachment. Will a G1 be good enough for what I want to achieve or possibly a GH1 body or G3.

Thanks!

I would not like to miss my external EVF for my E-PL1. I prefer this to any built in viewfinder because it can be tilted up. Since I shoot a lot of macros I use the EVF tilted up nearly all the time. No Panasonic G can replace my external EVF.

Alex, have you ever looked through the Olympus EVF? It is superb. If you can get to a store that has one, you really ought to see it in action. I used to have both the E-P2 and the E-PL1 (consecutively) and loved the Olympus EVF. I also just love the Olympus colors. If I were going to go the interchangeable lens route and mu43 route...I'd check out the new tilting screen E-PL3 with the EVF.

That said, there's always the NEX which will give you the same sensor as the X100...and it's got that great LCD.;)

The G3 integrated EVF is as good as the Oly VF2.

The tilting feature of the Oly and Panasonic EVFs is nice, but I view the G3's tilt and swivel screen as more versatile. In other words, with the G3 you get a versatile screen and a first-class built-in EVF.

Hope this helps.

The GH2 EVF was as good as the Olympus VF2 (or close enough that I couldn't tell otherwise). I think the bar has clearly been raised to the point that there's no excuse for a NEW EVF not to be that good. But there are plenty of cameras from a year or few ago floating around with EVFs that are not in that league. The G1 I don't believe was that good, the G10 I heard was as bad as the detachable Panasonic (for the gf1, gf2, and LX5) and that's pretty bad. But just as the bar has been raised for CDAF speeds, its been raised for EVF quality too. Now they just have to work on EVF speed, so it can refresh quickly enough for burst mode shooting so the blackout time doesn't prevent you from tracking the action as the burst shooting is happening. I tried the GH2 at a baseball game with a telephoto and after a couple of shots in burst mode, I was flying blind. As long as you start in the right place, you can get lucky that way, but it'll be pretty cool when these mirrorless cameras can match DSLR's in that area as well as AF speeds.

-Ray

I'm still not feeling the love for EVFs, and the E-P1 remains my preferred legacy lens cam.

I am much better than I was with EVFs. The good ones I can use comfortably (I like using cameras at eye level as well as via the lcd) if not ecstatically. I really like the information that can be displayed, specifically the histogram. It seems clear that the next generation EVFs will have much higher resolution. If that's the case, I will be very happy.

Having had a VF2 and G2 at the same time I can say that the built-in EVF on the Panasonic G Series cameras is every bit as good as the VF2. Add to that the rotating LCD and the G Series cameras provide as much flexibility (if not more) viewfinder wise.

I give the slight edge to the VF2 over the built-in EVF of my GH2 and the Sony A55 I used to have. A little bit more clear and faster refresh.

That being said, the G3 appears to be a very capable camera. Possibly the best m4/3 camera so far, at least as far as still photos are concerned.

I give the slight edge to the VF2 over the built-in EVF of my GH2 and the Sony A55 I used to have. A little bit more clear and faster refresh.

That being said, the G3 appears to be a very capable camera. Possibly the best m4/3 camera so far, at least as far as still photos are concerned.

I have read that EVFs can have a different appearance to different people, especially with regard to tearing.

I found the Olympus to be beautiful at first glance, but much prefer the Panasonic EVFs (though not the low res VF1). The Olympus did not react as quickly in use, and tearing was noticeable compared to that of the GH2. Like a lot of things, it really pays to check them out in person, make some photographs and see what works for you in typical shooting situations.

The G3 EVF has some technical improvements over that of the GH2, but whether or not these improve performance is not something I can yet judge.

I do know that the G3 EVF is outstanding - and of course there whenever you need it..

I notice that the latest Olympus EVF has a lower resolution. It's by no means low, just lower. My bet, just an assumption, is that they have improved it's actual performance and that the lower res, while significant, will not impact actual use.

The VF on the G1 is shocking (I've owned 3). The VF1 for the GF1 is just as bad ( but essential). Having tried a G3 lately I am very impressed with the VF and the articulating screen (the body build is not as good as my GF1 though). You would find manual focusing with the G1 a bit hit and miss. Better to go for the G2, GH2, or G3 IMO.

looks like I will have to continue on with out an EVF in general because someone made me an offer on an EP1 package that was too ridiculous to pass up. And now that I have a M4/3 on its way without a dent in my pocket I can continue to save for my M8 that I've been craving for. You all made very valid points and throwing in your opinions on the olympus helped me make this choice.

Back