Sony Nex-7

Would love to see them stick that rumored 3 million pixel OLED EVF in the 7 along with the current tilt screen and a 24mp sensor with improved high ISO performance. Sold!

Just announced from what I read. I've been tempted to pick up a A55 body since they are dropping in price and it has that super 16Mp sensor, but the reported problems with overheating when shooting video have stopped me. I've read that Sony has fixed the problem on the new cameras where you can shoot at least 30 minutes without a warning. I shot my A33 a few days ago when it was over 100F outside and got about 30 quick shots in and it gave me the overheat warning and shut down. This guy has already got his hands on the new A35 and it looks like a nice cam. I would assume he will be one of the first to get the A77 or A65 too. The new A35 lost the articulated screen and electronic level and I have to have those two items because I'm spoiled by my A33.

The Picture Desk

This is exciting if true,...a flat mirrorless digital back with 24mil pixel....

....Now, if it could be a larger sensor, perhaps square,....Are you listening Mr Sony?

I'm surprised that posters are mentioning A77/A65 as these are just hybrid DSLR's with fixed mirror,....a transitional design for people who can't bear the thought of teh end of the SLR! In actual fact, a 'solution waiting for a problem' type of design,....so good luck with those!

At the moment I'm shooting mostly with the X100 and GRD3, but I'm watching developments in m43 and Nex with a LOT of interest. I have a Nex and a GH2 and will likely go mostly one way or the other depending on how quickly and well m43 comes out with the camera that wins me back with the extensive collection of lenses I already have vs how quickly and well Sony comes out with a slightly better camera and a few much better lenses. If the Nex 7 and the Zeiss 24mm arrive reasonably soon and live up to expectations, I could go hard to Nex and the m43 would just stay on hand for telephoto and ultra wide angle work, which I don't do a lot of. If, OTOH, the AF and flip screen on the new EPL3 live up to my hopes and the IQ doesn't suck (doesn't have to be quite as good as the GH2 or G3, but I'm hoping for better low light performance than the EP2 or GF1 had), I'll likely jump back into m43 and sell the Nex. But seriously, I like the X100 and GRD3 so damn much I'll probably keep using them for 90% of what I do.

-Ray

If the Nex7 looks like that thing on Photo Rumours, I'll abandon ship with Sony.
I wouldn't buy that thing with anyone's money.
The new Pen cameras have me looking at the m43 format again.

If the Nex7 looks like that thing on Photo Rumours, I'll abandon ship with Sony.
I wouldn't buy that thing with anyone's money.

I agree about the fugly thing on Photo Rumours. Scary.

We would diverge though on the Pens (with the possible exception of the EPL3): they are pretty, but the E-P3 is, for my my needs, just not there. It doesn't offer anything over my current gear, and retains the things that made me sell my E-P2. Sure is a looker though... :)

I want to see how the next few months play out: Nex 7, next GF (rimored to be for enthusiasts), maybe something from Fuji and Pentax. But it would take a lot for me to move from M4/3 lenses. I really like having such small, high quality lenses.

Agreed about the new Oly's. I like the design elements of the Pen 3. If it performs better than it's parents, I could be interested. For now the X100 is the kid I'm using and the Nex5 is great with my MF lenses.

No viewfinder withholds me from NEX.

Me too - but that's one of the key rumors around the Nex 7: it will include a VF.

And yes, fabulous sensors, but I am not sure I need whatever extra they can deliver. I would have to think about that. The big Nex hold up for me is AF lenses.

The NEX is also limited by it's contrast auto focus.
It seems Panasonic and now Olympus have raised the bar considerably on CDAF. The GH2 and G3 are as fast as most mid-range DSLRs and the new Pens are potentially faster yet. I would think Sony, Fuji, and anyone else who wants to play in the mirrorless market are gonna have to match that performance in the future. Its obviously possible.

-Ray

They are tempting aren't they? The whole m4/3 platform is coming into its own in terms of quality lenses, and now, superior AF and compact size.

Am still holding out for the NEX 7 and future Fuji, Ricoh and Leica compacts. There is an R.E.M. Song that comes to mind whenever I think about going back to m4/3. Kudos to the first person to guess it....

Back