Tripods Tripod for Serious Compact

woof

Regular
I shoot a lot with tripods and like it. I'd like to continue that in a more portable and compact fashion with the compact I purchased.

I have a variety of full sized tripods... but frankly they are overkill and NOT in keeping with the go light ethos. Suggestions on a small tripod that reaches something close to 60" or above and folds to 15" or so would be very much appreciated.

If it worked as a very compact, stable tripod for a small DSLR I'd be even happier. I regularly use a tripod in some places where a bit of stealth (ie not looking like you have $2000.00 in hardware) is a good thing.

I bought a Manfrotto Modo 738B (doesnt seem to be available anymore) a couple of years ago. Its very similar to this one in design, but is slightly longer at full stretch (163cm/5'4"...as tall as me). Its designed for cameras up to 1Kg. I used to use it with my K200D and its kit lens, as well as the G11. Haven't tried it with the K-5, because I have bought a more sturdy tripod since then. I found it could take a bit more weight than advertised. Its very lightweight, and I imagine the 785B would be similar. No problem to cart about and didnt cost that much.

Thanks to both of you... There are indeed some seemingly decent Manfrotto that run towards the inexpensive side of things. I'll look into this a bit closer. Basically i think I need to take the advice so often given... find a Brick and Mortar that has your target and go gat hands on... thanks again. very helpful!

Thanks krugorg. Actually the Velbon is quite nice.

I've been looking at the Luxi "L" as well. Of course now the might as wells start to creep in and I wonder the extent to which the ball-heads should have a panning capability. Worse comes to worse, I get a Feisol panning base for 40.00... but now I am north of 200.00 for a tripod for my itsy-bitsy LX-5. Heh.

Thank you. You hit the spec on the nose really...

Back