D-Lux 5 or GF1 with the 1:1.7/20 pancake?

andreas

Rookie
I need to buy a new "compact" camera, the candidates so far are the D-Lux 5 and the GF1 with 20mm pancake but I am open to alternatives on the same price range.

The D-Lux 5 is intriguing (would pick this rather then the LX5 because it comes with Lightroom), while the GF1 has a bigger sensor, and the advantages of the mu43.

What do I shoot? Beside some street photography, family shots and so forth (D-Lux 5 would work just fine here) I also do quite some food shots, and here's where I am brought to believe the GF1 with the 20mm would be a better fit: beside the fast 1:1.7/20 it has a bigger sensor and therefore more chances of taking OOF background pictures. Now: I don't need extreme OOF (there are horrible examples of food photography with extreme OOF out there), but the shallower DOF available, the more options to choose from I would have.

In the past few days I browsed the LX5/D-Lux 5 and the GF1 groups searching for food shots to see how they compare and while I found a lot of compelling GF1 food photos I have not been able to find a decent number of LX5 food oriented photos to make a decent comparison. So I am asking you guys for an opinion to help me decide.

Here you have a nice review of the Leica, maybe it can helps you to decide:
SLR

I think the the 20/1.7 is a great lens, but I would take the Olympus body becasue of the stabilizer on the body and the best JPG engine

I will offer my opinion based on the LX5 & GF1 as I have both.
With the LX5 your about done. Maybe you would get the EVF and a few extra things.
With the GF1, you'll end up getting extra lenses because you can.

The LX5 on macro mode would do food/product work easily.
Very easy to get OOF images.
The GF1 will almost force you to get additional lenses. Thus increasing your investment.
IQ is not equal. The GF1 has better output by a slim margin but noticeable in print.

You have not mentioned your output and that would be key to your decision.
If your doing the work for $$$ then the GF1 would be a better choice.
If it's your own work without answering to an Art Director, the LX5 is the way to go.
I have sold images from both without issues but my work is mainly Fine Art and my clients respond to my vision not the output alone.

Getting LR is a big plus for the DLux.
I didn't need LR as I have it from 1st beta.
Don

You have not mentioned your output and that would be key to your decision.
If your doing the work for $$$ then the GF1 would be a better choice.
If it's your own work without answering to an Art Director, the LX5 is the way to go.

In regards to food photography I do it mostly to show the products I bake, both online and offline (digital support or print). I wouldn't mind selling images for extra money as well, but it's not my main focus/reason to take pictures.

5136419408_5a0c51aeb8_b.jpg

LX5 cropped f/4 @ 1/2000th ISO 200 EV -0.33 Not that it's high quality food, but at least it gives you a "taste". I took from the passenger seat of my car, as the fine meal rested on the dashboard. Not a lot of thought involved.;)

I suppose you've searched Flickr for the LX5 or D-Lux shots? I'm guessing that you don't need to use the latest versions. Wish I could offer more insight, Andreas. Don (Streetshooter) has offered some worth while observations.

I recommend trying raw files of different cameras, which you can find for download on some sites, and look what you can do with them. Lightroom 3.3 RC can read the raw files of the Canon S95 and Canon G12, which are both great cameras (I own the Canon S90 and the Canon G12 myself). I also own the Olympus E-P1, which has the same sensor as the GF1. All mentioned cameras are very good. The E-P1/GF1 has an advantage in bad light, but the advantage will not be very big, if you use a darker lens on the E-P1/GF1. The 1.7/20mm is very fast and thus you will have a significant advantage in bad light over any compact out there.

I tried some raw files of the Panasonic LX5, which is a great camera on paper, and was extremely disappointed. In my opinion the image quality of both of my Canons is significantly better, but this is a conclusion I have drawn from testing some well exposed raw files and not from my own experience. So I would buy either one of the mentioned Canons or the GF1. The set with the 1.7/20mm has got cheaper since the announcement of Panasonic's new point-and-shoot called GF2.

Unless size or lack of zoom is an issue, I would recommend the GF1 (or any M 4/3) plus the 20mm. The 20mm is such a nice lens, I think it would be great for food shots. The only possible negative I can think of, is whether close focus distance of the 20mm is short enough for you (not sure what it is.) Also, with the GF1 you don't get OIS (like the LX5) but do get better high ISO with the larger sensor, actually they sort of cancel each other out. If you have a Gorillapod or something like that for your food shots, then you have a lot more margin for error/low light, I expect the LX5 would be great then too.

Actually if you anticipate shooting in a lot of dim environments like restaurants where you can't control the lighting, I would recommend an Olympus M 4/3 body with the 20mm lens. That would give you the best image quality in a wide range of environments. You could keep the kit 14-42 zoom for other purposes, or just sell it to recoup some money.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply this thread with their suggestions and opinions; I have just ordered the D-LUX 5.

I wish I could buy both of them and a LEICA D SUMMILUX 25mm/F1.4 ASPH as well ;)

Congratulations! I can't wait to see your photos - whether they're of food or anything else!:clap2:

P.S. Admit it, my hotdogs and french fries photo pushed you over the edge.:rofl:

Back