Feedback excluding forums?

pdh

Legend
in other vBulletin forums (including mu-43) I see an option in my profile to "Exclude Forums" from searches ... can't see it here, or am I being dim?

From what I can see in looking at Settings via the upper right hand corner of one's window, there does not appear to be a way to do this.

I feel as though someone else asked this question before but I could be thinking about "across the hall".

Let me see if I can ferret anything else out for you, pdh.

That's a modification I installed at the other site which I haven't installed here yet. I just did a search and found that there does exist a way to do it, so I'll add that feature soon and update this thread when I've done it.

thanks Amin.
One feature here I really like is the "Active posts" tab - the best of "todays posts" and "new posts" combined!

Err ... can I give this another little bump Amin as you're doing a bit of maintenance anyway at the moment?

pretty please?

Certainly do, Amin, but it's not the searching per se that makes the exclusion feature useful to me (and I'd hope to others)

I browse the forum by having my "home page" (as it were) land on the view given by SeriousCompacts.com - Active
So every time I refresh to this page, I get all the latest posts at the top in bold.
Other people might use "Forum/New posts" for a similar but not identical view.

If I'm able to exclude certain forums, then it will only show posts from subforums in which I am interested. So stuff I'm not interested in (say for instance, things starting with a letter of the alphabet between ... hmm ... lets see ... W and Y :)) won't appear.

But because you sensibly originally set the forum up so that gear and image threads are largely separated, if I exclude a few gear forums, I wouldn't then miss out on images, which is what I'm most interested in.

(this is particularly convenient on extremely busy forums, especially those which have international regional subforums)

Hope this makes sense/is clear?

Paul, I don't know what you're talking about with W and Y. If you tell me directly, I'll take a look and see if there's a way to help.

There's no way to allow members to pick which forums go in the Active page. That is a global setting. There is a hack to have members pick which forums go in New Posts, but I don't think enough people use that option to make it worthwhile to install the hack. Each additional hack introduces changes which can lead to instability and forum upgrade problems.

I added tabs at the top under Discussions for All Recent Discussions and Recent Image Threads. The latter only pulls from the Image Thread Forums and Image Works. Clearly there are image threads in the gear forums, but this was the best I could do.

well Amin, "X" comes between "W" and "Y" so I was just trying to have a bit of fun about the plethora of Fuji X posts ... not to worry.

I don't know the ins and outs of vBulletin, it's just that on other vBulletin-powered sites I use, there is an option in my profile's "General Settings" so that I can exclude any forums I select from view. On apug for instance it looks like the attached.

If you can't do it easily you can't do it, but I had assumed because earlier in this thread you'd said you would do it, it was easily possible. Again, not to worry. Thanks for taking the time to revisit

Untitled.png

I don't know the ins and outs of vBulletin, it's just that on other vBulletin-powered sites I use, there is an option in my profile's "General Settings" so that I can exclude any forums I select from view. On apug for instance it looks like the attached.

Would you use New Posts instead of the Active page if New Posts let you exclude forums by preference?

Back