Sony oops! Just bought a Nex5 & 16mm f/2.8 kit / It's Arrived!!

Name
Andy
I have been looking for a replacement for the GF1 and s95 for quite a while and have been looking at the GF2, E-PL2 NEX5 and Sigma DP2s

GF2- Not as nice to use as GF1
E-PL2- Very good looking retro but image quality as with GF2 isn't quite there for me which is one reason I ditched the GF1 although Dynamic B&W was superb!
Sigma DP2s- Way way too expensive for what you get even though the images are very good. No detachable lens system and poor quality small rear screen.
NEX5- Very odd looking camera, nice to hold, superb tilting high res rear screen to help with manual focus when using old MF lenses and the best bit is the ASP-C sized sensor and high ISO.

So I just have to try one and the one I wanted [Black NEX5 16mm f/2.8) was cheaper than any other kit so the order was placed!!! Whoop Whoop!!:D

Arriving tomorrow so a little report will follow including a report on using the NEX5 with MF lenses. I have already ordered a M42 - NEX adapter. :)

:D I love cameras and lenses and part of this hobby is trying different things even if it cost more. This hobby is still far cheaper than building and restoring cars!!! I don't smoke or drink either so this is my naughty little pleasure ;) Can't wait to try the NEX5 especially with my 35mm f2.4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon lens!!!!!:2thumbs: That should pump the APS-C's sensor muscles a bit! :dance3:

Congratulations. Welcome to the club! You'll be joining soon yourself BB;)

OK Lets get a campaign to get BB over to the NEX side!!(y)

BB Looooooook at this... mmmmmmmm
sony-nex5-16mm-8001-e1287169622234.jpg

Hey, congrats Andy :) I found the 16mm kit lens to be very useable indeed and quite surprised myself as I wouldn't say I'm a natural wide angle kind of user. In fact, it seems more natural that the Leica X1's 35 (36?)mm fov. I'm hankering after the Ricoh GXR A12 50mm offering at the moment as I really want macro and great IQ. What is it with us users, always after something else :)

Update that firmware when you get it!!!

I have a NEX3, and it's a fun camera, though there are limitations (I'll let you find them out for yourself, since a lot of the time it's personal anyway, and I don't want to bias you). But the firmware update is an absolute MUST! It's a different camera when updated (of course, your might ship with the update, which would be even better)

Update that firmware when you get it!!!

I have a NEX3, and it's a fun camera, though there are limitations (I'll let you find them out for yourself, since a lot of the time it's personal anyway, and I don't want to bias you). But the firmware update is an absolute MUST! It's a different camera when updated (of course, your might ship with the update, which would be even better)

Thanks. I'll see what mine is and pop along to upgrade if necessary. Let's hope not eh! Always a scary thing to do he he.

Christilou- What is it with us users, always after something else
Yep, it never ends!! :D

Welcome to the NEX club Andy (when it arrives) Christine you mention your not a great fan of wide angle I know like me you have the 'kit' lens for this cam: today I photographed the 'Strawberry Fields' Gates in Woolton Liverpool and was glad that I had the excellent 18-55mm lens otherwise I would be flattened by traffic having to stand in the middle of the road to get the whole of the gates in frame.
Andy I forgot to mention in an earlier posting about the flip-up LCD which I think is great for street-photography, or if like me squatting or bending is difficult, it is definate bonus.

Does Lightroom 3.3 support the NEX5 RAW files?

Cheers Penny. The screen is pretty awesome!! I'm going to love that I'm sure and very handy for street photography!!

Yes, NEX is fully supported on LR 3.x.

Like others, I wasn't much of a WA shooter, but the 24mm Eq lens (plus I got the FE adapter) has brought me into trying it out. It's a lot more fun than I gave it credit for!

Does Lightroom 3.3 support the NEX5 RAW files?

Cheers Penny. The screen is pretty awesome!! I'm going to love that I'm sure and very handy for street photography!!

Back