18-55mm for 35mm. Fair Swap ??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Street Photography Blog, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Street Photography Blog

Street Photography Blog New to FujiXspot

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi all. I'm a new member and this is my first post. Great to see a forum dedicated to the 'New Leica' :)

I've had my X-E1 with 18-55 zoom (bought as a kit) for a little under a week and whilst the lens and image quality are superb in every way, I really like the 50mm aspect, probably because I've come from film Leica's and that's what I'm used to.

I've found someone who's selling the 35 1.4 who, as luck would have it, is looking to replace it with the 18-55mm. I haven't asked about a swap yet.

Question is, would a swap represent a good trade, in terms of money lost on either side (if any), image or build quality etc . . .

With the latest firmware, is the Manual Focusing speed when turning the ring, on a par with the 18-55 (which is excellent).

I know the best solution would be to keep the zoom and buy the 35, but I'm feeling a bit flushed at the moment, having just spent £899 on the camera. :D

2. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    doesn't the xf 18-55mm cost more than the xf 35mm? see what he's willing to spend for a 18-55mm. you just may be able to trade + receive a bit of cash on top. i, myself, got rid of my 18-55mm since having the 14mm and 35mm primes. the 35mm f1,4 is just so much nicer than the 18-55mm at its 35mm end. when i first tested the 35mm out at a camera shop, i fell in love with its field of view. see if you can test one out, yourself, if you haven't already.

3. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I had two X E1's and two 18-55's.
    I have the 14 and 35, and wanted to add the 18.
    I basically swapped the 18-55 for an 18.
    I thought it was fair since the coat of the 18-55 is lower when purchased as a kit.
    I am a happy camper with this set up.

4. Street Photography Blog

Street Photography Blog New to FujiXspot

Jul 19, 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, buying as a kit definately makes it better VFM.

There's just one thing stopping me.

I've tried to find something out on the net about whether the MF speed of the 35 since the firmware update, from near to far when turning the ring has been boosted and is more natural feeling like the 18-55?

I do agree a token lump of cash would be in order. :)

Cheers,