1958 Leica Summaron 35mm f3.5 with adapted hood...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BruPri, Feb 3, 2016.

1. BruPri

BruPri FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    20160201-IMG_2423. 20160202-IMG_2433. 20160202-IMG_2435. 20160201-DSCF6628. 20160130-DSCF6344.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    That's an oddity... I've had a couple of Summarons and that's a spectacles mount on the top... ttbomk none were produced like that. Is it a Summaron focussing cell in a CF mount, or what? Interesting!

3. BruPri

BruPri FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    Hi Bill, , from the little research I've done, It's an M mount with infinity focus lock Summaron M 35/3.5 35mm f/3.5 Goggle Version E39 Yr.1958. Probably certain features specific to that time period, looks stock to me but all I know is what I Google. HA!

4. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  5. BruPri

BruPri FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
  6. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    So... This is fascinating. The f3.5 version was prooduced from 1948 to 1960. It was produced in LTM (screw) and bayonet. There was a bayonet version with goggles for use on the M3. The goggles on that variant were NOT removable; to do so rendered it useless on either M3 or M2 bodies. The only Leica lens I know that had removable goggles was the 50mm Summicron Dual Range, or Close Focus. I had a couple of those and the goggles were only usable in the closeup range (it had a double-helix for focussing). I had a couple of those lenses and they were superb. The Summaron is a very competent lens, albeit a bit soft by modern standards. It is rare to find a dust-free copy without front element scratches caused by over-enthusiastic cleaning of the soft front element. Mine was a late '50s version and was very clean. I am rwally confused by this lens - it does look like a real oddity - do you know any of it's history at all?

7. BruPri

BruPri FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    No Bill, actually my guy at the camera store just kind of walked up and laid it on the counter to see if I'd be interested. It was hazy but I've had some success with other Leica lenses in the cleaning department so I figured I'd give it a try. Did all my research after the fact and saw a few similar ones pop up when you Google them. I've modified the infinity focus pin to not do that because it's a PITA but I bought it as a shooter, not an investment so not to worried about ruining a national treasure or anything. Nice and sharp now, great character. It pretty much lives on the camera now.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1