Nikon D5100 In Stock and Shipping at Amazon

I've been drooling over this camera ever since it was launched (even though I don't like the layout of buttons). Thom Hogan had done a lovely writeup on the D7000 (which has the same sensor) and makes one important point: kit lenses are falling short in resolving optimum sharpness from this 16 megapixel sensor. He is recommending the 16-85 VR lens for this resolution (makes sense). I guess I need to save a lot to buy the D5100 and 16-85 VR combo!

Is that a compact....seriously?...;)

:)

We're pretty loose with the term "compact". As it turns out, we're not alone:

2d94sqx.jpg

It's hard to distinguish on a size basis between a D5100, Samsung NX10, and Leica M9. All are chosen by some folks in part because they are more compact than something else!

compact?

This is a small camera.
sidebyside.jpg

Unlike the Pentax K-5 its pretty light too. I've used this sensor on both a K-5 and a Sony A-55 and its pretty amazing for low noise at high ISO and dynamic range. I much prefer it to the Canon 18MP in the 600D, 60D etc. as its great at low ISO's. Whether Nikon have got it tweaked like the Pentax, which produced superb colour, I can't say but I may well give this a try, mainly for video.

:)

We're pretty loose with the term "compact". As it turns out, we're not alone:

View attachment 1228

It's hard to distinguish on a size basis between a D5100, Samsung NX10, and Leica M9. All are chosen by some folks in part because they are more compact than something else!

This is a small camera.
View attachment 1230
Unlike the Pentax K-5 its pretty light too. I've used this sensor on both a K-5 and a Sony A-55 and its pretty amazing for low noise at high ISO and dynamic range. I much prefer it to the Canon 18MP in the 600D, 60D etc. as its great at low ISO's. Whether Nikon have got it tweaked like the Pentax, which produced superb colour, I can't say but I may well give this a try, mainly for video.

I'm embarrassed to admit that this little Nikon gives me second thoughts about my decision to add the K-5 kit.

I don't even want to look at it! I keep thinking...gee, that would have been a good camera for our daughter. Of course, it wasn't available when the camera gift was given.

I don't even want to look at it! I keep thinking...gee, that would have been a good camera for our daughter. Of course, it wasn't available when the camera gift was given.

You should have bought her a NEX and 'borrowed' it:)

Thanks for the notification, Mayank!

olli, I don't know that the NEX was out when present time was around...plus she had this thing about the camera wanting to seem like my OM-1 she'd been using. Either way, yes, a NEX would have been very handy to borrow.:D

I have bought a Nikon D5100 with the Nikon f/1.8 35mm today. This camera is very compact and light for a DSLR and I am looking forward to using it. Some weeks ago I wrote, that I would most probably buy no DSLR again, but the announcement of this camera changed everything. Now I own it and it seems to be the perfect camera for me, although I have to take more than just some test shots yet. I even love the sound of the shutter, which is very silent and sounds just right.

Some members of this forum know that I have been very unlucky in choosing cameras, because I have got bad samples several times. I have bought a Nikon f/3.5 85mm today, too, but there is some problem with the coating and thus I am going to return it tomorrow. However, the 35mm seems to be perfectly fine after taking some test shots and the camera seems to be great, too, apart from a stuck pixel, which I will eventually get mapped out.

If it feels compact enough for you, it is indeed a "serious compact"! Congratulations Christian - and I can't wait to hear more and see your pictures with this new camera!:friends:

This is the most compact DSLR to house the remarkable sensor from the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000. I previously owned a Nikon D5000, a fairly small DSLR itself, and the newer model is even more compact. At $899 with lens, it looks to be a strong buy.

Link: Nikon D5100 at Amazon

Some members of this forum know that I have been very unlucky in choosing cameras, because I have got bad samples several times. I have bought a Nikon f/3.5 85mm today, too, but there is some problem with the coating and thus I am going to return it tomorrow. However, the 35mm seems to be perfectly fine after taking some test shots and the camera seems to be great, too, apart from a stuck pixel, which I will eventually get mapped out.

No. It has happened again. The 35mm is not perfectly fine. It is very unsharp at the right side and I mean reproducibly and completely unacceptably unsharp even at f/4. The 60mm macro, which replaces the 85mm, has some slight problem at the right side, too, but by far not as bad as the 35mm. The second copy of the 60mm I got is very unsharp at the left side. I am lucky that I have not paid this stuff yet and that I have got the possibility to test it before buying it. Either I will get a fine copy of the 35mm tomorrow or I will return everything, since the macro lens alone is insufficient.

Oh, darn it! You were so happy before...:(

I will be very interested to hear what the camera store has to say - as in how are they going to deal with these lenses... I hope not resell them.

If they are Nikon dealers, one would think they'd be able to really help you out... I mean if you love the camera, they have got to have some lenses that are the way they should be.

Back