Critique Wanted An idea: one image that we each process and compare

Will

All-Pro
A few years back on another forum we all had a go processing one image to see what came of it. It was fascinating and produced some radically different and interesting takes on the same file.

Didn't there used to be a regular competition on mu-43 with this sort of idea?

(not suggesting it should be a competition though)

yes, great idea ...

Yessir, Brian had an ongoing contest for software.
We may be able to do that here also, in time.

Will, perhaps you could post an image as a Raw file and also as an OOC jpeg for those not doing raw.

It could be very interesting.
Good idea Will, we hand the lead over to you.
Thanks, shooter

Will, sounds like a fun idea. A few questions:

What kind of files did you post? RAW or JPEG? My RAW files are around 15MB which seems impractical. Full size JPEGs are 5-6MB.
What size in pixels did you post?
Did the initial poster post an unprocessed file? Or a file processed to his/her liking?

Off the top of my head: an initial poster posting one image in two forms - one processed and one unprocessed - around 1200px would seems reasonable. Enough to work with without being to big.

Post threads in the image processing forum or a sub-forum there (not that we want to make more work for Amin). How about the 'Pimp my JPEG' sub-forum?:)

If you have an image in mind feel free to post it with a quick outline of the plan and see what we can come up with.

Olli, pimp my jpeg,....you must be from Philly.

Maybe we could host a raw image off site for downloading....
Raw would open more possibilites.
Your thoughts....?

Agree that RAW would best - I'm just not sure of the technicalities of making it available to people. If there is a way to do it I'm all for it. Bear in mind though that a few of us in certain parts of the world don't have quite the same internet capabilities as the rest:)

We also need to make jpeg available for those who don't shoot or process in RAW.

Don, I came across 'Pimp my Ride' through German television. The Germans being very fond of cycling had a show called Pimp my Fahrrad' - Pimp my Bicycle. I believe you can find it on youtube.

Love the idea! I'm in....!!!

Always keen to see what other's do with negatives.

Feel like a numpty, having suggested this on Lattiboy's post, to find that it had been parsed off there. :blush:

You are not a numpty!:dash2: Whatever a numpty is. Everyone was probably too busy constructively criticizing to pay attention to your sage suggestion, Mark. :D

P.S. Oh, now I'm the numpty! Just read your post over yonder.:blush:

You are not a numpty!:dash2: Whatever a numpty is.
Please see here for a handy set of definitions. I'd prefer the less harsh version 1 - "Scottish usage: a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others."

P.S. Oh, now I'm the numpty! Just read your post over yonder.:blush:
Yep we're quite the pair you and I, BB! :friends:

OK so now I'm a little confused? Did I post my observation after yours. Mine was just a comment about what had happened somewhere previously, I wasn't stealing anyones thunder.
Anyways now the pressure seems to be on me to put forward an image and I'm discovering it isn't such an easy thing to do! I'm working on it though :)

How about this one?
Plenty of scope to crop and pp I would have thought. If people agree on this one I'll find a way of putting the raw file somewhere for people to access

5639052400_37589d0330_b.jpg

Don't worry about Mark. He's a numpty, after all. ;) No, but seriously, he suggested it on Lattiboy's ocean thread...after but, of course, not realizing that I had kidnapped your post to use as a new thread here. Great minds think alike and all that.:drinks:

I have a feeling that Don has an idea of where to post the RAW file, but I shouldn't speak for him.

You're very good to find a picture for us all, Will!

Will, I think we need more foreground subject matter.
Maybe if there were some way to get emotional impact during PP...
Dunno, I'm just trying to think, not really thinking..

Back