Micro 4/3 Tell me about Olympus E-PL2, and if worth it over the E-PL1

wolfie

Veteran
My Pentax K-7 is basically dead after a fall in the water - just waiting for insurance to cough up (at a rather discounted pay out ) so Iam looking at E_PL2 combo lens kit, although the PL1 combo kit is available for about 30% less. I know they have the same sensor and resolution is equivalent- so my justification for the PL2 is the better looks :)biggrin:), the MkII kit lens, better AF speed and better dynamic range controls.
I will be using this as my photos-while-fishing companion (in a protective cover). The K-7 was good but a bit heavey on the neck after a couple of hours - and it has to be ready at all times as action does not wait for fumbling in camera bags! So I suppose the battery life is one question - and is "wake-up" quick or slow?
Let me know guys!
Thanks.
(And it will be nice to be back with Oly - I've been a fan since the OM-1 days ...)

I cannot speak for the E-PL2 so perhpas my response is out of turn, but I find the AF quite fast enough on the E-PL1 and the IQ really superb IMHO.
They are as low as 300$US now; an excellent buy.
Mine wakes quite fast IIRC
I far prefer mine with the 17mm pancake :)

I've never used an EPL1. Used the EPL2 and was very impressed with the IQ at base ISO. JPG was very nice, great colors and sharp! But I do hear that the output between the two is pretty much the same. So it comes down to what Lucky said above.

Personally I would much rather pay the extra 30% and get the E-PL2. I have had 2 and both failed but I was just really unlucky so go for the E-PL2, really nice camera and far far far far better looking than the E-PL1 in my opinion.:)

I had an E-PL1 and then bought an E-PL2. There's very little difference and I actually think the E-PL1 is better made. Its obviously a discontinued camera but there are some amazing deals on it currently. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have upgraded.

Thanks for the replies. I think battery life may be a culture change after being used to leaving the DSLR switched on for weeks and still get 500-600 shots before depleting it. I agree, Lili, I remember trying the E-P1 and wondering what the fuss was about slow AF. I recently tried the E-PL1 with a 40-150 zoom in the local mall (not great lighting) and at max zoom it was able to lock focus pretty well on people over 50 meters away.
The other attraction for the PL2 is the three converter lenses just going on sale - especially the wide angle one as I cant afford a 9-18, and I would like to go wider than 14mm.
Look forward to any other thoughts people may have. It will probably be a week before I will be able to make the purchase, and the rumours are that for a new M4/3 announcement on June 3 ...

Handling the E-PL2 is far, far better than handling the E-PL1. The control dial is an important part of the camera, and the E-PL2 system works very much like the Panasonic 2-in-1 control dial. The higher resolution LCD is also very important, as this is a main component to a mirrorless camera. The image quality of the E-PL2is actually better although the E-PL1 was so good it's tough to tell the difference. The E-PL2 uses the same processor and AA filter as the E-5. The E-PL1 was dumbed down and compromised, but the E-PL2 shows no compromises at all.

Thanks for the replies. I think battery life may be a culture change after being used to leaving the DSLR switched on for weeks and still get 500-600 shots before depleting it. I agree, Lili, I remember trying the E-P1 and wondering what the fuss was about slow AF. I recently tried the E-PL1 with a 40-150 zoom in the local mall (not great lighting) and at max zoom it was able to lock focus pretty well on people over 50 meters away.
The other attraction for the PL2 is the three converter lenses just going on sale - especially the wide angle one as I cant afford a 9-18, and I would like to go wider than 14mm.
Look forward to any other thoughts people may have. It will probably be a week before I will be able to make the purchase, and the rumours are that for a new M4/3 announcement on June 3 ...

Mine is quite fast in any kind of decent light. Converter lenses that work on th E-PL2 will definitely work on the '1' as well unless you are speaking of something quite new...

The Olympus convertor lenses will work the the E-PL2's kit lens (14-42 MkII), but not the E-PL1's (14-42 MkI). They are interchangable of course but by the time you've purchased an E-PL1 body and a 14-42 MkII lens seperately you probably wouldn't have saved much if at all compared to buying an E-PL2.

The Olympus convertor lenses will work the the E-PL2's kit lens (14-42 MkII), but not the E-PL1's (14-42 MkI). They are interchangable of course but by the time you've purchased an E-PL1 body and a 14-42 MkII lens seperately you probably wouldn't have saved much if at all compared to buying an E-PL2.

Ahhhhh, had not heard of those converters then :)
That would affect ones choices.
I have yet to handle an E-PL2 so I cannot comment on build quality.

The other difference between the kit lenses is that the new Mark II version (on the E-PL2) also has the MSC designation (Movie and Still Compatible), meaning that it has very quick, quiet, internal focus (particularly important if you shoot video without an external mic). That's what allows the non-rotating front element to take the converters as well as a square bayonet lens hood.

The other difference between the kit lenses is that the new Mark II version (on the E-PL2) also has the MSC designation (Movie and Still Compatible), meaning that it has very quick, quiet, internal focus (particularly important if you shoot video without an external mic). That's what allows the non-rotating front element to take the converters as well as a square bayonet lens hood.

Ned that is indeed a big plus and I had forgotten that. My 14-150mm is so rated and it is indeed quick and silent.

Thanks again

for the further discussion. Had a play with both cameras at a local store - and I'm fairly well decided on the PL2 - defintely just tad faster AF, better LCD and the rotary dial was also somehting that until you handle the camera you dont appreciate the difference it makes.
There are some example pics with the converter lenses on DC Watch - and sharpness looks very good.
Hopefully will be paid out in the next week so I can make the purchase. It is like a dream to have a camera body the size of a canon G11 that takes lenses. Certainly wouldnt want much smaller as you need some area to access buttons and hold it comfortably.

The insurance payout is about to go through- and now there is the upcoming June 30 Olympus launch with three new cameras (let alone new lenses)- should I wait for the announcement - or get the E-PL2 kit anyway? And what about the G3 - becuse now I think an eye-level VF is something I've overlooked too casually-especially when son's soccer games are involved ... arrgghhh

June 30? darn. PMA Sydney is on this coming weekend. I wonder if they will have anything to show there. I saw an E-PL1 dead cheap the other day and I was really tempted. $200 cheaper than the XZ-1 was a HUGE temptation... but what held me back was the prospect of an E-PL3 or something similar.

Why get 2 when you can have a 3

June 30? darn. but what held me back was the prospect of an E-PL3 or something similar.

Same thing happened to me - I am leap-frogging the EPL2 and getting the 3rd generation.

I almost wonder if the number 4 will be on the shelves by Christmas ...:tongue:

Ned that is indeed a big plus and I had forgotten that. My 14-150mm is so rated and it is indeed quick and silent.

Hi Lili - as your most dedicated follower . . . . I have now bought myself an E-PL2 to go with my XZ-1, together with the 14-150 lens, which is, indeed, quick and silent.
I've no idea how an E-PL2 compares with an E-PL1, but it's certainly an improvement on an EP-1 with the original firmware!

all the best

Back