Micro 4/3 My New Panasonic G3

Aha! We all knew that it couldn't be too long!:D

Andy, I do hope you'll tell us what you think about the G3, too. How do your other cameras feel about their new sibling?;)

Hi All

Thanks for the comments. It's a really great little camera, small, light, controls are easy, touch screen is good, EVF is awesome and the tilt screen is something i think i will use a lot. I will do a full report soon but I'm going on holiday this weekend and taking the XZ-1 so the user report for the G3 will be a while but it's looking good so far!

I have sold my Canon 500D in order to finance this baby but the discount still helps!(y) I also got my Fuji F550 from work as a company camera so that will get an airing also at some point.

Pic of GF1, G3 and Fuji F550
New_Cameras_800pix.jpg

Mine just arrived too :) Going to compare it to my X100 and throw one away.

I wonder if anyone will find such a comparison "unfair"... I personally don't have a problem with it - they're both cameras, and that's an end of it as far as justification goes :)

I wonder if anyone will find such a comparison "unfair"... I personally don't have a problem with it - they're both cameras, and that's an end of it as far as justification goes :)[/QUOTE]

If you are going to 'throw one away' can you throw it in my direction? :D Seriously though i have been looking at some images from the G3 and they look like they were taken from a proper DSLR so I'm excited to see what my baby can do. I have also seen test shots from the new GF-3 and they look pretty awesome as well. The test shots from the Fuji F550 look pretty poor at the moment but i have not had a chance to see what this camera can do yet as i need to take it out for the day. I may take it on holiday as well as the XZ-1 but not sure yet.

Mine just arrived too :) Going to compare it to my X100 and throw one away.

I wonder if anyone will find such a comparison "unfair"... I personally don't have a problem with it - they're both cameras, and that's an end of it as far as justification goes :)

If you are going to 'throw one away' can you throw it in my direction? :D Seriously though i have been looking at some images from the G3 and they look like they were taken from a proper DSLR so I'm excited to see what my baby can do. I have also seen test shots from the new GF-3 and they look pretty awesome as well. The test shots from the Fuji F550 look pretty poor at the moment but i have not had a chance to see what this camera can do yet as i need to take it out for the day. I may take it on holiday as well as the XZ-1 but not sure yet.

Enjoy the G3 :)

I bought mine last week and although it felt a bit too small to start with you soon get used to it.

The three great things are fast focus , noiseless ISO 800 and high resolution making the body ideal for the 100/300 and 45/200 lenses. In fact I've never seen the 200 lens produce such sharp clear images and even the vignetting is taken care of now by in-camera processing.

Shame that the RAW files aren't recognised by Adobe yet but that will come.

Enjoy the G3 :)

I bought mine last week and although it felt a bit too small to start with you soon get used to it.

The three great things are fast focus , noiseless ISO 800 and high resolution making the body ideal for the 100/300 and 45/200 lenses. In fact I've never seen the 200 lens produce such sharp clear images and even the vignetting is taken care of now by in-camera processing.

Shame that the RAW files aren't recognised by Adobe yet but that will come.

Yeah I've already gotten used to the size :) It's a very very nice camera. White balance could be a bit more accurate, but apart from that it whoops my X100 in every way, especially usability!

Looking forward to RAW support in LightRoom 3!

I have had a play with the Silkypix software that came with the camera and it's actually pretty good for the RAW files but I will stop using it when Lightroom and Elements 9 are updated.

Also we have a deal at the moment where you get free extended warranty to 5 years and free Lightroom 3 with every purchase of the G3!!! sweeeet!

I have been looking at pics people have taken with both the G3 and E P3, and it seems like the G3 is producing sharper and better looking pics. Is it just my bad eyes or does someone agree with me. This is really making me re-evaluate which route I want to go.

I have been looking at pics people have taken with both the G3 and E P3, and it seems like the G3 is producing sharper and better looking pics. Is it just my bad eyes or does someone agree with me. This is really making me re-evaluate which route I want to go.

I was looking at getting the E-P3 but what swung it for me was the brilliant EVF and the rear moving screen both of which the E-P3 does not have. I'm VERY happy with the G3.

Some people are complaining about a red cast in jpeg mode, have you experienced this?

Nope! but then I have not been looking. It's certainly not something I have noticed. I shoot in RAW 99% of the time so it shouldn't be an issue. If it remains a problem then I'm sure Panasonic will fix this in a future firmware update.

Back