35mm - 1.4 or 2?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by AndyMcD, Aug 27, 2017.

1. AndyMcD

AndyMcD FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    I want to get one more AF lens to round out (for now) my lens collection. I want something to carry around on holiday etc so I can let other family members borrow the camera.

I had a play with a 35/2 yesterday and it was pretty good. I know it would do everything I want, plus having WR etc. but part of me thinks I should go with the 1.4 (although it would end up costing more) because I suspect it would become a general walkabout lens for me (probably pushing out the Samyang 21/1.4).

Does anyone have any side-by-side experience that could help me make a proper judgement on this?

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have both.

Ubless you specifically need the light gathering power, the f2 is the better bet, particularly for travel. It's faster to focus, and the WR is useful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larry T

Larry T FujiXspot Regular

Sep 6, 2015
    Larry Thacker
    I have both, not much difference optically, especially in the middle apertures, and the f2 does focus faster and is weather resistant. The f2 is the logical choice, but my f1.4 is always in the camera bag, the f2 gets used if the weather is iffy. The f1.4 is probably the sharpest lens I have ever owned in 40 years of photography.

4. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    You can't go wrong with with either of them. Both are capable of amazing images. Get whichever one has the features which fit your needs best.

5. alexmilesg3

alexmilesg3 FujiXspot Regular

Dec 31, 2015
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Alex
    Personally, I rely on zoom lenses for when I need to track things - which would also require the faster AF that you would find in the f/2.0 version.
    For that reason, I would go for the 1.4 version, for light gathering capability, sharpness and DOF.
    Size wise - they are not very different and I do not consider the f/2.0 version pocketable anyway, so I would not buy that for that reason alone.
    Have always found weather sealing not a critical reason to pick a lens over another, but I also do not like to shoot in bad weather.
    So my vote is for the 1.4 version

6. mikEm13

mikEm13 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    1.4 version.

7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I'd say 1.4, but as has been said already, you can't get this decision wrong. They're about the same size, you're not going to ask it for blazing AF speed, and you're not going to shoot in the rain...? Plus the 1.4 has that awesome square hood. Put a clear filter up front, click on the hood, throw away the push-on rubber cap... --Only exception is shooting at night, when you'll want the clear filter off to avoid green orbs from specular lights bouncing between front element and inside of filter.

Now the two 23mm lenses, that's a much much easier choice. The 1.4 is too soft wide open, and much too fat. I'd strongly recommend the f2 version there. But the 35s are both pretty compelling.

8. Bluebear

Bluebear FujiXspot Regular

I have both; the 1.4 was my first Fuji lens on an XE1 back in 2013. I will never sell this lens. There's something about the images it produces that's just 'special'. It looks good with the square hood too, whichever camera it's on. The downside is the slightly loose aperture ring and the fact that the AF isn't the fastest even on Fuji's latest cameras.
    Enter the 2.0. Weather resistant (very useful here in the UK, and the main reason for me buying it), excellent AF speed and a lovely firm click-stop aperture ring. With the optional vented hood, it also looks great too. Personally I don't think the images from it have quite the 'pop' they do from the 1.4, but that's a personal thing. I used the 2.0 with an XT10 on a trip to India earlier this year and would do so again. The AF never missed a beat, compared to my 1.4 on an XPro2 recently in London where sometimes in admittedly not the best light, there was some very occasional hunting.
    If I was in the market for a 35 now, which would I choose? I'm 90% sure it'd be the 2.0. Great though the 1.4 is, the 2.0 feels better built, has WR and has faster AF. IQ is excellent too, making me think my love of the 1.4 is possibly just down to our longer term relationship!!
    Hope this helps!

9. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ totally agree about the images from the 1.4 having some kind of magic to them. A fellow X shooter I met at a wedding recently said the same thing... "more times than I can count, when I'm reviewing images the next day on the computer, when I see a really good shot and my eyes pop open, I look at the exif and it's the 35 1.4 lens."

10. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Thanks guys, it's good to know that there is no really wrong choice here. I'm edging towards the 1.4, mainly because of what @KillRamsey@KillRamsey says, I think if I get the f2 I will be forever wondering if the f1.4 might have given slightly better results. Ultimately, it will likely come down to availability and price.

• Like Like x 1
  11. xpatriot

xpatriot FujiXspot Rookie

Oct 18, 2013
    I don't have the f/2 version but I have the 1.4 and there are times I walk past a print from that lens and just stop- it really does have that "something" about it's images.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bs1946

bs1946 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    Another possibility for consideration is the Zeiss Touit 1.8/32. It is an excellent lens in both optical and built quality. I can't speak about the Fuji 35mm f2.0 because I don't have on. I got the 35mm f1.4 along with the 18mm f2.0 along with my X-E1. Mostly used the 18mm but the image quality on the 35mm f1.4 was excellent but the autofocus was noisy, if that matters to you, and users who have used both 35mms say the autofocus is slower than the 35mm f2.0.

Personally, I prefer manual focus and just bought a Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 MC. But it is not for everyone because besides being purely manual and only available in a Leica M mount so you need an LM/FX adapter, it is an exact replica of a lens that Voigtlander produced in the 1950 and 60s, and it comes with all the quirks a vintage 50s era lens would have. But if you consider manual focus only lenses, Rokinon has a 35mm f1.2 that should be every bit as good, if not better, as their 50mm f1.2 or the 21mm f1.4 I own. HandeVision recently released a set of f2.4 lenses that are available in Fuji X-Mount, including a 35mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Thanks for the information @bs1946@bs1946 I already have a couple of the Rokinon/Samyang lenses (12/2 and 21/1.4) plus a bunch of old Nikon lenses which I use on straight and focal reducing adapters. My goal here was to get an AF walk around lens. I think I have read about the Zeiss in the past but I'm not sure how expensive/available it is.

I pulled the trigger on an Exc++ copy of the 35/1.4 this afternoon - it should arrive on Tuesday, and I will update this thread once I have it

• Like Like x 2
  14. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    So, my 35/1.4 arrived a few weeks ago. I haven't had a lot of opportunity to play with it, but so far I am loving it.

Here is one from a work trip a couple of weeks ago:

XT1A4832.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Veteran

May 21, 2015
    I know you already made a decision, but another vote for the 32/1.8 Zeiss Touit. I love the look I get from it - it's different but not radically so compared to XF lenses, and the slightly wider FOV is a bonus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rayvonn

rayvonn FujiXspot Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    I think us F2 owners just have to accept the lovely images of the F1.4 and soldier on, get a legacy lens instead if you want 'character'. Getting the same focal length lens from the same brand seems a bit silly.