4 way pad and Fn buttons on X-T1

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Luke, May 15, 2015.

1. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've always been a focus and recompose sort of guy so have never really used the D pad for moving around the focus point. But having a couple of programmable function buttons has me considering leaving the D pad for moving the focus point instead of giving the pads assigned functions that I might rarely use.

What have you assigned to your Fn buttons and how do you use your D pad?

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Mostly Macro (soon to be replaced with AF mode selection), DR, Auto-ISO and of course AF frame selection. Some also like to put the shutter type selection there, or white balance (to see the effect immediately in the EVF).

The two dedicated FN button are reserved for face detection on/off and Natural Live View on/off (aka Preview Pic. Effect).

Sadly, the video button still isn't available as an Fn button, even with firmware 4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I definitely need to change what I set on that front Fn button. I put auto ISO there and I kept hitting the button accidentally and opening that dialog box. Maybe I'll put macro mode there.....it's easy enough to just hit it again to back out of it. And if I don't catch it right away, it shouldn't mess up too much.

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    A toggle would be the last thing I put on this button. Way too easy to miss.

5. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I usually assign depth-of-field preview to front function buttons. It's a function that I will occasionally use, and whenever I accidentally press the button (which is inevitable when camera manufacturers place function buttons right where your fingertips rest) I am not left stuck in a menu or in a different mode when I release it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that sounds like a good choice. I don't think I've ever used that feature on a camera before, but it could definitely be useful.

7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Luke I was always a focus-recompose guy until lately. I switched the 4-way buttons on the XT to move the focus area, and damn if I don't sorta like it. I'll still do it the old way if I'm taking a single shot and moving on, but if I'm taking more, I move the point. Quick and easy... arrows to move it, then half press shutter button to lock it in.