Leica Leica D-Lux 5

Name
Andy
Well it looks like it's coming!!!!! I have seen on a few sites that the D-Lux 5 is going to be here very soon. So the question is, is it going to be a Leica version of the Lumix LX5 or something completely different? I'm betting it will be a Leica version of the LX5 but there are those who product interchangeable lenses!?!?!? Will there be D-Lux 4 bargains out there?

What do you guy's think?

The D-Lux 5 will be a Panasonic LX5 as usual. There is a rumor that Leica is going to introduce a new camera with interchangeable lenses (but no µ4/3), but it's only a rumor. I am rather sure that there will be more than a D-Lux 5 being introduced at photokina, but nobody knows any details.

There is a rumor that Leica is going to introduce a new camera with interchangeable lenses (but no µ4/3), but it's only a rumor.
Yeah, I have read that too but i think it will be very very expensive, Probably double the X1!

The D-LUX5 is going to be a good looking camera. Why can't Panasonic remove "POWER O.I.S./24mm WIDE" on the LX5? Luckily, these are small cameras. If they were bigger, Panasonic would print the entire press release on them.

Andy, don't count on DL4 discounts. They'll probably go up in price!

looking exactly like the D-Lux 4 :(

Leica_D-Lux_5_Photokina_2.jpg

According to L. Camera's post here: Photokina 2010 Press Releases - Leica User Forum Leica has issued prices. You can download the pdf files if you're interested in the details with the suggested retail prices.

The LEICA D-LUX 5 will be available in the UK from October 2010 from authorised Leica dealers...

The suggested retail price of the LEICA D-LUX 5 is £630 including VAT. Accessories are priced as follows (SRP including VAT):
Leica D-Lux 5 EVF1 electronic viewfinder - £270
Leica D-Lux 5 ever-ready case - £135
Leica D-Lux 5 brown leather case - £90
Leica D-Lux 5 soft leather pouch - £62
Leica D-Lux 5 handgrip - £62
Leica CF 22 flash unit - £225
The LEICA D-LUX 5 comes with a two-year warranty and a one-year Leica ‘Passport’ (accidental damage cover).

It will be interesting to see what the actual sale price will be in the UK and elsewhere...and what the exchange rates will be, too.:popcorm2:

Does anyone here know why people purchase these Leicas instead of the Panny versions? If the red dot cost 2-3% extra, maybe I'd understand it, but at over 25% more, I just can't wrap my head around it.

Does anyone here know why people purchase these Leicas instead of the Panny versions? If the red dot cost 2-3% extra, maybe I'd understand it, but at over 25% more, I just can't wrap my head around it.

Generous donation to Leica's R&D department for the M10 and X2?

Some reasons are bundled software, warranty, design, and resale value. But I think some are just happier with a D-LUX than an LX. I suppose if money is not an issue then there's really nothing wrong with it.

As far as i can see the D-Lux 5 is the same -more or less- than the LX5. The D-Lux 4 had a better lens than the LX3 but the new versions seem to share the same lens.

As said the price difference is just bonkers!

"The D-Lux 4 had a better lens than the LX3"......well we used to think that but comparing my DL4 to a friend's LX3 I can assure you that there is no difference.
Partly for that reason ( and the fact that I don't need Lightroom 3 and have given Leica quite enough this year for an X1 and accessories! ) I have acquired an LX5.

I look forward to hearing views of the DL5 lens.
I feel that the new lens just doesn't have quite the quality of the old..perhaps the price we pay for extra reach.

Nippa, I have to admit that I am one who kept wondering if there was a difference even though I've read countless times that there is not. Thanks for your hands on comparison - and congratulations upon your new Panasonic LX5!:D

I do have to admit that I like the visual simplicity of the Leica better than the Panasonic version when looking at them from the front.

Yes, it will be interesting to hear from Leica D-Lux 5 owners what they personally think about the lens.

a Leica is a Leica even when it's a Panasonic

but they usually add a few "bits and pieces" for the 40%, (now maybe more), price premium over the LX

no chance that that will fit in your pocket with any of the accessories

Still - it will sell well

I like the looks and I'd be tempted

(but in my view the EP1 with the Panny 20mm f1.7 - really does take some beating - price/value for money/etc/etc/wise - you have IS in the cam making a really fast lens on the front of the thing)

Right, they give you software. I believe it's Elements for this camera, whereas for the X1 it was Lightroom which I shall forever be thankful for. Besides the less is more approach to the outer appearance, I wonder what the RAW and, yes, JPEG files are like right out of the camera. The LX5's RAW files often have a yellowish cast. It's been explained to me that this is a filter of some sort... It is certainly easily correctable. I believe that most of the MU43 Panasonic cameras have this same yellow tone quality and that often those not used to the cameras don't realize what they need to do - just a little push of the Auto WB in LR makes a huge difference.

Back