Feedback How does being a "Friend" differ from just being a member of the forum?

Usually I have to know a person before I become friends.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by refusing an invite.

Could it be that assigning someone as a friend one received email notifications that that person has posted a new message or image to the forum?

Isabel

Isabel, I think the same way as you about this, but the influence of MySpace, Facebook, and other social media has changed the meaning of "friend" for sites like this. It's find to decline a friend request if you don't like the concept. Or alternatively, you could choose to accept that "friend" means something different on sites like this and just go with it.

You won't get any email notifications regarding friend activity on this board, and you can control all email subscriptions (by default off) in your options.

"Or you could choose to accept that "friend" means something different on sites like this and just go with it."

Not exactly sure what "something different" means!

Isabel

Isabel, I think the same way as you about this, but the influence of MySpace, Facebook, and other social media has changed the meaning of "friend" for sites like this. It's find to decline a friend request if you don't like the concept. Or alternatively, you could choose to accept that "friend" means something different on sites like this and just go with it.

You won't get any email notifications regarding friend activity on this board, and you can control all email subscriptions (by default off) in your options.

To me on both SC and on mu-43, it is a way for me to let someone know I appreciate their involvement, and/or a very easy way for me to access them if I want to send a PM. That's pretty much it. I don't read anything deeper into the "friend" option on the forums. However, I can say that I have made some very good friends who are much more than contacts on an Internet site.

As for accepting a "friend invite" on either of these two sites, as an Administrator and Moderator I can't imagine turning anyone down unless I felt they were a very seriously negative member. In my experience seriously negative members don't hang around either of these two photography sites for too long.;)

Isabel, please do whatever feels right to you. Nobody should take a lack of response personally. Everyone has different styles and comfort levels. For example, I tend to go overboard on smilies, while others would never ever consider using them. Different strokes for different folks as Sly & The Family Stone used to sing. Now if that doesn't date me, I don't know what will.:D

If it's me - let me know!:D What you can do is befriend them yourself. Sometimes people think they've accepted a "friend request" but really haven't...since there's a little box that has to be checked off, if memory serves me.

Back