Finally found my way over here!

Grant

Veteran
What do people want to know about Grant?

I live in or around Lunenburg Nova Scotia, a place so pretty that you can throw a camera on the ground and get a good shot.

I do make pictures, almost daily, but seldom throw the camera to the ground. I am reasonably proficient in both photography and photoshop, and I guess that mean nothing unless you understand what my idea of proficient is. I am very kind to others images but very critical of my own. I do enjoy helping others but tend to shoot by myself. When it comes to the art of photography I am very opinionated. When it comes to Equipment I tend to be a minimalist and only buy what I will use. Presently I shoot with Nikon and Panasonic.

If there is anything you feel I have missed please ask.

Hi Grant
Glad you came over and nice of you to tell us a bit about yourself and I certainly found it interesting.

So, Grant, do you own a compact to go along with your DSLR and M43 gear? Or are you just looking to become seriously tempted?

I was almost exclusively an m43 shooter until I saw so much good stuff on the LX-5 from folks I respect over here. Now I have one and have all but left my m43 gear behind. I've done some comparative shooting with both lately and reminded myself that I'll still use the m43 gear for some uses, but 90% of the time it seems like the LX5 is it for me now.

So, BE CAREFUL - this is a very dangerous place!!!

And welcome!

-Ray

Welcome Grant! Love Nova Scotia. Haven't been there in 20 years since my grandmother died (a MacKenzie)

So, Grant, do you own a compact to go along with your DSLR and M43 gear? Or are you just looking to become seriously tempted?

-Ray

Coming from very large formate cameras I think a dSLR is a small camera and my GF1 is a mini. :)

I have in the past owned a several compacts. I presently have a Nikon Coolpix P6000 and a Canon G9. WhileI prefer the P6000 neither one rings my bell. This says more about my preference in shooting and less in the worth of these two find cameras. At present the G9 is gathering dust and the Doreen, my wife, uses the P6000. In fact she loves the little beast.

Hi Grant! Welcome from a place more eastern on the globe!
When I read Lunenburg I remember an article in the magazine "Wooden Boat" many years ago about two traditional workshops where you live: One was the 'Owl' shop for traditional paddles for indian canoes and the second was in the business for iron casting for traditional ships/boats accessories for masts, anchors and other heavy metal. Enjoy this place here in your long and dark wintertime.

Hi Grant! Welcome from a place more eastern on the globe!
When I read Lunenburg I remember an article in the magazine "Wooden Boat" many years ago about two traditional workshops where you live: One was the 'Owl' shop for traditional paddles for indian canoes and the second was in the business for iron casting for traditional ships/boats accessories for masts, anchors and other heavy metal. Enjoy this place here in your long and dark wintertime.

Hi Silver

I suspect the Owl Shop was gone before my time but the Lunenburg Foundries is still in business and going strong. We have one of their brass bells hanging off our dining room wall to signal time to eat.

Ship building is one of the three main industries in our town and you can get anything built here from a wooden dingy to a sea going tug. In fact some famous movie ships were made here, one notable was the Bounty. On a lesser scale the Dory that Jack Sparrow stepped ashore in the first of Pirates of the Caribbean was made here as well. Presently there are three sea tugs being and Bluenose (famous Canadian schooner) being worked on in town.

The other two industries is fishing and tourism. Lobster fishermen are presently getting ready for the start of the season. As for tourism come visit us one day we still have a few pictures left to be taken.

I live in or around Lunenburg Nova Scotia, a place so pretty that you can throw a camera on the ground and get a good shot.

Nova Scotia - beautiful country over there. I recall seeing some amazing autumn photographs in Nova Scotia in a National Georgraphic magazine when I was little, the colours and imagery has stayed in my mind ever since.

I am very kind to others images

I'm going to remember that.....

I think we should plan a field trip to Nova Scotia sometime. As a matter of fact, perhaps once our daughter is on her own - we'll move there! Can I become a citizen? Do they offer health insurance? You think I'm kidding, but I'm not really. Definitely want to visit and would love to meet you and Doreen when we do.

Grant, I've really been enjoying your photos on Flickr very much!

Back