A chilly bike ride

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Dec 3, 2017.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I had 4 cameras in my handlebar bag on Saturday’s outing: X-T1, a rented Canon G1X Mk III, Canon S95, and an Olympus 35RC film camera. The S95 did fairly well in the low light conditions I was faced with most of the day. I was evaluating the G1X Mk III for potential purchase, but I basically ruled out that option by the end of the 2nd day of using the camera. The X-T1, in my eyes, was the clear IQ champion yesterday. I also much prefer its haptics over the G1X Mk III. All of the following were with the X-T1 and 23mm WR.

Shortly after daybreak, looking down at the lake 800+ feet below. I’d be riding my bike past that bridge a couple of hours later.
    DSCF0576a.

Mill Creek has many waterfalls, and some really serious drop-offs from the edge of the trail into the ravine. I have a couple of other images where I tried to capture some of the real monster drops, but the photos didn’t do it justice. As it is, someone was killed at the largest waterfall in these photos a few years ago. I had to lock my bike to a tree and scramble down some very steep hillsides to get a few of these images.
    DSCF0578a.
    DSCF0579a.
    DSCF0580a.
    DSCF0589a.
    DSCF0586a.
    DSCF0587a.

The RR bridge up close. Unfortunately, not long after I started back up the trail leading out of the canyon, I heard a train coming into the gorge, but I didn’t have time to go back and try to catch it on the bridge.
    DSCF0583a.

Looking up at the park lodge. Complete solitude down there; didn’t see another person along the trails all morning until I was almost back at the top.
    DSCF0584a.

Looking from the RR bridge up toward the bluff where I was standing in image #1. Yes, there’s a trail that snakes down the face of the cliff to the bottom, and the drop-off from it is terrifying!
    DSCF0585a.

Back near the top, looking at the ancient mill where Westlake Creek enters Mill Creek.
    DSCF0590a.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Nice images. Definitely does not help with my wanting to not give 23mm another go around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Glad I could help! Especially after you and Kyle tuned me into the 50-230. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. merlin

merlin FujiXspot Veteran

May 25, 2017
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    A very well-captured set, Tony. 23mm is an excellent AOV for many landscape shots.

5. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Thanks Merlin.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    That's a gorgeous place. If it were out here in Oregon, those waterfall pools would be full of bearded hipsters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. TonyTurley

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    Out here they're empty until the temp rises above 40F, then 20-something couples with cell phones and older couples out for a Saturday stroll appear out of nowhere. When I arrived at the trailhead shortly after daybreak, mine was the only vehicle in sight. By the time I got back to the car, the gravel lot was packed. I think most people are just crawling out of bed at the same time I'm hitting the woods.

8. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    A distinct advantage...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JoeLopez

JoeLopez FujiXspot Regular

May 18, 2017
    Detroit
    Joe
    A nice series of images! Thanks for sharing :)

• Like Like x 1