a few questions??

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by noelh, Feb 20, 2013.

1. noelh

noelh New to FujiXspot

Really attracted to the XE-1. Features, control functions are what I was hoping for in Pany's next gen GF-1.

But... No Aperture RAW processing support. Any chance that in the future APPLe will come out with an update to support the X-mount cameras? Is there a major incompatibility with Aperture that will prevent that from every happening?

No mention or I missed it in the reviews of dust "removal" system. Does the XE-1 have a system similar to the Pany & Oly mu43 bodies?

Relative quality of the weather resistance? The GF-1 used is not "weather-proof", but has survived couple Sinai sandstorms, a few months exposed to ocean sea salt air mist (enough to dirty up the lens glass) and recently a dump of heavy wet snow. Wondering if the XE-1 would stand up to similar environmental insults?

2. steve

steve FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 8, 2013
    new jersey
    steve
    Aperture raw support is up to apple, email them and ask.
    The X-E1 has a sensor cleaning selection so the sensor can be cleaned when you turn it on and when you turn it off.
    The X-E1 is not ' weather proof ' so really can't say if it would stand up to factors like that
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hi Noel,

There's a freeware Raw translator for MacOS machines that David Hughes has found works about the best of anything out there:

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html

If you've a Mac, I seriously suggest you try it.

As to the sensor cleaning, as Steve points out, yup! 80,000 shakes a second (count 'em!), thanks to a piezo element buzzing the sensor at startup and shutdown.

As far as weather proof we'll just have to see. But the Oly EM5 is already out there if that's a must have. If you need to be in heavy dust or salt spray, I'd say go for the Oly. But for the X-E1, one data point: Had the X-E1 and 18-55mm out in a heavy snowfall, melting snow all over it. No problems, although I was wiping it off every so often.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spylaw4

spylaw4 New to FujiXspot

Feb 15, 2013
    London
    I would love to try RPP, but having downloaded it, can't get it to show a RAF file. I will need to email andrey I think. Also it shows a vast black space larger than the screen where the image should be.
    Aaaargh!!

5. spylaw4

spylaw4 New to FujiXspot

Feb 15, 2013
    London
    Sorted! I really should dig a bit deeper before opening my mouth!
    Taking a look at the RPP forums I find that I need a different beta version for the XE-1. Now it works!