A (slightly) serious X10-X20 upgrade concern

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by depscribe, Feb 24, 2013.

1. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Until camera makers give us a lot more control over the firmware than we have now (letting us, for instance, select which fields from the EXIF standard we'd like to include -- the copyright field, for instance, is one I'd like to have available, but can now invoke it in Fuji-made pictures only in post-processing), there are certain little irritations that can be problematical. Among these is the naming and numbering of files. (Nikon SLRs let the user specify the three-letter prefix, which is more useful than you might imagine.)

Anytime you have two files of the same name on a computer, the potential for conflict, resulting in one file overwriting the other, exists. And it is the kind of thing that's not immediately apparent: let's say we sort our pictures by event, or story, or subject, into separate directories. Fine. No conflict. But then let's consider that in six months or two years we're putting together a CD or DVD slideshow or something. We hit two files of the same name. Oops.

Nothing we can do about that now, unless the new Fuji firmware is a lot friendlier than we have reason to expect. But there is (maybe!) a solution. I'm speculating a little here because we don't have the X20 yet. But my thought is that when the X20 arrives, first thing I do after I open it and ooh and aah and charge the battery and set the time and language, is Insert a freshly formatted SD card from the X10 containing exactly one picture (it could of course contain more, but if the whole thing heads south it might ruin them, so I propose to do it with a throw-away picture taken for the purpose of getting its filename). Then, using that card, I would take a picture with the X20.

My hope -- and it can only be a hope at this point -- is that the X10 and X20 are sufficiently similar that the X10-formatted card will work and, purpose of the exercise, cause the X20 to pick up the numbering sequence from it. Then, in terms of storage, there would be no overlap of filenames.

Make sense?

It doesn't solve the dispute between my X10 and my X100; from time to time I do a batch rename of the X100 files -- so they begin "X100-" instead of "DSCF-" -- but that requires that I remember to do so and adds another step to the workflow. I could so that with the X10 files, of course, except that it would drop them to the bottom in the directory . . .

Better that Fuji would let us have more access to firmware controls in the first place. Of course, Fuji is not alone in this . . .

• Like Like x 3
  2. lights and shadows

lights and shadows FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    Guangzhou (China)
    Your idea is very interesting, but I´m not sure about the resulting numbering sequence. We need wait somebody wishing to do the experiment and see...

3. depscribe

Feb 17, 2013
    That is true. And I's an important experiment. Perhaps someone from Fuji can overnight me an X20 so that I can conduct that experiment and either put millions of minds, I'm sure, at ease, or let us get to work on another solution.

4. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have used this trick to reset a camera back to its original numbering sequence after something had inadvertently set it back to zero. I renamed the last image to what it would have been had the original sequence continued and the camera starting counting from this new number. As an alternative solution to your problem, maybe using a batch file renamer upon import would be helpful. I have had multiple Canon cameras in the past which use a simple IMG_xxxx file name so there was the potential for more than one image with the same name. Using a batch file renamer I would add a prefix such as C50D- and C500D- to keep the file names unique.

• Like Like x 1
  5. depscribe

Feb 17, 2013
    Yup, I rename my X100 files that way. It just adds another step and I suspect it would be trivial for Fuji (and other camera makers) to make it easy for us to do it once, in the camera, and not have to worry about it again. Or produce model-specific prefixen. My method above is a kludge, and your method is far cooler -- just make a picture with the X20, pop the card into the 'puter and rename the file, and then put it back in the X20 and make another picture. (Though this would work only if one had made >1000 pictures, I think -- every thousand, the camera makes a new subdirectory. Which also suggests to me that I'll need to back up the pictures on my X10 card and use it as it sits when I try that experiment.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    I struck the same issue with my K-5 which wanted to name files with the same prefix as my K200d. I was able to change the prefix in camera which was extremely useful. For some reason both the Kx and Kr had different naming. Had not occurred to me to do it with other cameras, but I had better pay attention!! Thanks for the headsup and suggestions here.

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    When I was in Asia a year or so ago, my E-P2 and EPM1 numbers started to over lap, causing all sorts of problems. Once I realized what was going on, I as able to start my E-P2 files with AB and my E-PM1 files with XZ. It was extremely handy to be able to rename them. Never thought of starting a sequence with the letters in the camera name.