A trap for (not so young) players - and a question or two.

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by bilzmale, Jul 12, 2013.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Got my 55-200 yesterday so mounted it on the X-E1 and went outside to try it. VERY disappointed at its inability to lock focus at any focal length above 55. It was late in the afternoon and very grey overhead so blamed low contrast. Tried it again this afternoon - it was sunny - and it still performed abysmally. Came in and 'penned' a terse email to the supplier but something niggled me to not hit SEND.

Went through the menu checking everything and found the macro button was switched on. Hey presto - problem solved.

Now for the questions:-

Can you disable the Macro button on the 4-way controller? and

Can't get any response from the AF button (bottom left) in shooting mode. It works as a delete button in playback and the manual is unhelpful. Methinks it should have a function when shooting.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Bill, that must be frustrating! I am sure you'll get some responses as the day/evening wears on. Hang in there! Hopefully people will be intrigued by your title and take a look to see what it's all about.

3. bilzmale

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    OK the AF question is solved - the button only works when AF is set to Area.

4. gdanmitchell

gdanmitchell New to FujiXspot

Mar 15, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
    G Dan Mitchell
    If you press and hold the MENU button a few seconds, you should get a "lock" icon on the screen. This cycles between "on" and "off" and it lets you lock and unlock the macro "button." I really needed this, as I was constantly hitting the macro button accidentally, with predictable results for the AF function of the camera.

While I'm a fan of the X cameras - just relied on one for three weeks of shooting in the UK, Germany, and Austria - there are some interface issues that you have to watch out for. As you have discovered, it is a bit too easy to accidentally hit the macro button. It is also a bit too easy to turn the exposure compensation wheel (near the shutter release) without realizing that you have done so, too. I would love to either see a locking mechanism here (perhaps a button or tab to push before the wheel can turn) or at least more pronounced click stops on this knob. It is also a bit easier than I would like to move the aperture ring on some of the lenses and not know it.

Some of this is a matter of training yourself to use the camera more precisely and carefully, but some improvements in the control interface are also warranted.

You also mentioned the AF issue with the 55-200mm lens. Do make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade, since the lens was released without it and AF was not great under challenging conditions at that time. The release that came about a month ago helped (I think) and the new release (this week) should also help with AF.

That said, the AF system can be challenged by very low light and/or very low contrast subjects. A week ago or so I was trying to photograph some mountains ridges in somewhat low light and haze and the camera (using the excellent 35mm f/1.4 lens) was almost unable to achieve focus on the ridge unless I carefully centered the AF point on a spot with a bit more contrast and tried more than once.

Dan

5. bilzmale

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Thanks Dan - the AF speed is acceptable and it's good to be able to toggle macro mode. I was sure I'd read it somewhere before so thanks again for your detailed reply.

6. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm intrigued: what function does a body-mounted macro button serve on an interchangeable lens camera?

7. bilzmale

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    It acts as a 'limiter' to stop some of the hunting that can occur over the full range of focus distances - in short it tells the lens that the subject is close. You are correct - this feature is often on the lens itself - I guess focus by wire allows it to be controlled in-body.