Accessories

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Phoenix, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    A bit superficial this thread :p, but one thing I do like with my Fuji XP1 is it's retro design and the ability to customise it to your liking.

I use the handgrip which I find really helps with the ergonomics
    Handgrip.

I have replaced the squashed coke can lens hood with a vented hood lens cap purely for aesthetic purposes and because the included lens cap keeps on slipping off the lens hood.
    View attachment 136

I got a "koi" soft release from matchtechnical
    View attachment 137

I used to use and wrist strap but I have recently purchased a leather neck strap so that I can keep my hands free when I'm walking around.
    neckstrap.

My gear

Thumb rests are quite popular but I find them awkward to use with the hand grip and I prefer the ergonomics of the hand grip.

What accessories do you use? Show us how you customised your gear ;)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Phoenix, your X-Pro looks very well dressed.

Is this a good place to wonder aloud if the X100s dimensions are exactly the same as the X100. I sold my X100 to someone who wasn't interested in the leather case and I'm wondering if I can use it on my X100S when it arrives.

Here is the case that I like. I think it makes it look even more like an old camera......
    8433079438_48a633ddd4.
    DSCF0568 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  3. Phoenix

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    The X100 looks quite good in in the leather case, the silver, black and leather tan looks great together. I read some hands on previews about the X100s and apparently aside from the "S" on the markings the size is identical to the X100 ;)

4. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That's good news. The only thing I don't like about the S, is that ugly white "S". It shall be hidden.

5. Tdp

Tdp Guest

6. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    x100-redbop-4416.

Accessories shown...
    Gordy wrist strap, russet with red cord
    Match Technical bop - satin red (now with added 1.3mm o-ring to secure it)
    Lensmate thumbrest
    WCL-X100 Wide converter
    B+W UV filter MRC

...and not shown:
    JJC lens hood, 49mm center pinch silver lens cap, hyperfocal chart taped to bottom
    Too many straps, still can't choose the right one, still ordering more
    Old, well used Eddie Bauer satchel (very small) to store and carry extra batteries, SD cards, EF-20 flash, charger (with Apple duckhead plug), WCL covers, accessories. Too small for camera with WCL, or camera + accessories, still bag-hunting for the right carry-all.
    (Other non-photographic accessories included for ambiance and entertainment purposes only)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pelao

Pelao FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    GTA, Ontario
    Stephen, or Steve, or 'hey you"
    Nice. What is the story behind the O-ring? Sounds useful.

8. afkenner

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Some of the soft releases tend to work loose after a while, and I've read so many tales of losing them that I'm surprised the streets aren't just littered with orphaned buttons. Anyway, many recommendations suggest teflon tape, or loc-tite, or nail polish to keep the button screwed in tight. All of those solutions could result in some unwanted debris getting inside the shutter release, so why take the chance? User Frankie (on another X forum) was very vocal about the simplicity and effectiveness of an o-ring solution, and I tried it with great success.

Here's how it works: attach your soft release and measure the remaining empty space. Buy one o-ring that's just a little thicker (like 0.2mm thicker) than the
    space, and big enough inside diameter to go around the threads at the top. Reattach the soft release with the o-ring around the "stem."

You can buy o-rings one at a time online from the o-ring store. I found that the MT Bop on the X100 had a bit more than 1mm of empty space, so I got a 1.3 x 2.5mm ring. While you're at it, pick up a couple of 3mm x 10mm to protect the strap lugs (also seen in the shot above, I learned this from Gordy).

Photo of the final result here:
    bop-oring-4070.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    You bunch of pimps!! :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Tdp

Tdp Guest

You 100% rock. I've got o-rings around already and I'm on my second soft release. The first one I lost and the cat found (thanks cat) the second one I have no idea where it went. O-Ring time it is!

11. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Great pictures guys.

While I'm waiting for the release of the X20, can anyone tell me if a Gordy wrist strap is good match for an X10/X20 ? Any pictures?

Other wrist strap suggestions welcome, but it needs to be something I can order easily in the UK.

Thanks,

-R

12. Phoenix

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I used to use this wrist strap for my NEX cameras and later on on my Fuji. The quality is pretty good and they ship to the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  13. afkenner

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Gordy has a searchable flickr pool

Plenty of examples!

14. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Aren't there just! I had a look through them yesterday and I think a Gordy wrist strap will be fine on an X20.

Thanks (and thanks to Phoenix above)

-R

15. hcreatives

hcreatives FujiXspot Regular

I love that Koi soft release! B-)

16. Phoenix

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Check out Match Technical, they've got other designs too, dragons, lady bugs, etc..

17. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I think Gordy wrist straps are a good match for just about any camera. I have them on all of mine apart from my DSLR

18. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    I do as well.
    Great Product!

19. GeoffM

GeoffM FujiXspot Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Just ordered a Gordy wrist strap and a Thumbs Up soft release for my XE1 :D