Achieving max flash sync speed

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by les-star, Aug 13, 2013.

1. les-star

les-star FujiXspot Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Just wondering if any of you have had success achieving max flash sync speed (f8 1/4000) with off camera flash?

Seems the most I was able to achieve was at f4 @ 1/2000. Any combination faster just gives mainly a dark image no matter how high I put the flash power.

I was testing using my Cybersyncs with a Nikon sb20, sb900 and even a fuji Ef-20.

I have yet to test with my alienbee b800 unit.

2. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The info on this link might help (short version: leaf shutter still has a few limitations at large apertures making the 'sweet spot' 1/1000 @ f/2):

Strobist: Leaf Shutter + ND + Flash: A Fuji X100s Daylight Primer

Also might want to check the t.5 times for whatever flash you're using at various power levels, though it sounds like you've tried various flashes at full output etc. already.

3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Duh... I just now realized you said you were testing with Cybersync triggers in the mix. That might be your limiting factor, because there's propagation delay in sending the signal from hot-shoe -> trigger transmitter -> receiver -> flash. That's likely your problem, and if you can test with a cable or the flash mounted on a hot-shoe you can confirm.

4. migs

migs FujiXspot Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    he's right. radio transmitter is what's limiting you. directly plugged sync cords or ir transmitters have been working with the x100/s. now if i could only get my hands on an x100s...

5. les-star

les-star FujiXspot Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks guys for the info! Good luck on your quest for your x100s. You'll be a happy camper once you get it! I'm so happy I took the plunge and switched from the DSLR. Definitely makes shooting much more enjoyable.