Adapted lenses on X-mount bodies???

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by speedandstyle, Feb 21, 2014.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle FujiXspot Regular

Is anybody using adapted, legacy lenses on an X-Mount body? I am so tempted to get one of the new X-T1s but I would primarily use it with my Nikkor lenses. So what are your experiences with adapted lenses on the Fuji X. This thread is in regards to how the bodies work with the lenses and not the lenses themselves. For instance focus peaking or other focus assist, balance with longer lenses, exposure ability or any IQ issues. Thanks,

2. Bob Brandoff

Bob Brandoff FujiXspot Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Nikkor lenses adapt very well to X-Pro1's, so the newer one will be even better.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51754501

Kipon makes the best adapters.. along with Novoflex.

I use adapted lens often.. M42 mount.

3. Coops

Coops FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 29, 2013
    Yorkshire, UK
    You should have no problems. I regularly use ais nikkors and manual focus pentax lenses on my X-Pro1. They are surprisingly easy to use.

4. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Elmarit 90mm using the Fuji M adapter

12693460105_3cb8ccfb06_b.
    Fuji by christilou1, on Flickr

12693619253_05ab062301_b.
    Fuji by christilou1, on Flickr

I just got this and have been having some fun with this lens. I find it fairly easy to focus using the peaking rather than the magnify. This is quite a long and heavy lens and of course magnified view just makes it more jiggly in the vf!

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedandstyle

Thanks for the answers so far. I guess I should have been more specific with my questions.

#1 what mode do you have use on the Fujis to shoot adapted glass? manual only? or will it work in aperture priority? or program?
    #2 are there any special settings needed? - for instance Panasonic forces you to go into the menu and select "no lens"
    #3 does the metering work well? especially stopped down? or do you need to meter fully open and then adjust?

6. Coops

Coops FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 29, 2013
    Yorkshire, UK
    Use manual mode for adapted lenses
    In the menu there is a no lens option. You can leave the mode permanently switched on, which makes you ask why the bothered making it an option.
    The meters are fine but look at the histogram for fine tuning.

But just have a play around, you. Won't damage the camera.

7. speedandstyle

So there is no aperture priority ability then. What about auto ISO?

8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I like aperture priority mode, too. Depends on the subject.

9. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    There's a Lens Mount Adaptor setting in the menu, with the option of various lens lengths and further options for shading corrections etc. I use mine in A priority and the XE1 seemed to respond well to spot and multi metering. I used my exposure comp dial to fine tune.

10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  11. speedandstyle

Thanks to everybody who has responded. Glad to know that it can be used in aperture priority mode as that is my preferred setting. I am now very seriously considering getting an X-T1 to use with adapted lenses. I can't get excited about the Fuji lenses however, many are overpriced and the list is so lacking. I wish that the Nikon Df was what the X-T1 is, a retro mirrorless body that allows the use of vintage glass with classic controls. I downloaded the X-T1 manual and will read through it.

12. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Genuinely (and I know you have started another thread on the subject), the Fuji lenses are NOT "overpriced" - they are actually remarkable value for money when you consider their performance. Trust me - I also use Nikon, Zeiss and Leica...

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 2
  13. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I don't see much reason in buying an X-T1 when one is using adapted MF lenses. A used X-E1 would also do the job. The X-T1 is much about speed and increased AF performance, and the main reason to buy into a system should be the lenses. For legacy lens fans, a Sony A7(R) may be more suitable, since most adapted lenses are full-frame, anyway.

14. speedandstyle

Perhaps if you get super technical about their performance. However I have had this debate before and even used to think this way. UNTIL a friend bought some Zeiss lenses for his Nikon. We put them head to head against similar NIkkors. After shooting some test charts and doing pixel peeping we found the Zeiss lenses were only slightly better and in some cases the same. I would rather save some money and get more lenses then have a single lens that is only a little bit better.

I am not a big fan of rangefinder style cameras, I much prefer the EVF centered. I did consider the X-E1 when it came out but just couldn't see spending the money with my dislike for the style.

15. Jason DiMichele

Jason DiMichele New to FujiXspot

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm using two Kipon adapters for my X-E2. One for Hasselblad and another for Canon FD. For the Hasselblad I'm playing around with the 80mm, 160mm and 250mm. For the Canon I'm using it with the 200mm macro (awesome results!!).

Cheers,
    Jason DiMichele
    www.jasondimichele.com
    Fine Art Photographer /
    Fine Art Printer

16. Bob Brandoff

Jan 5, 2014
    Expensive- yes, but not overpriced. Olympus and Panasonic m4/3rds lenses also cost the same- for an even smaller sensor.

17. Bob Brandoff

Jan 5, 2014
    The side by side windows in the viewfinder of the XT1 would help immensely with manual focus.

18. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can buy expensive Zeiss lenses for X-Mount, too. However, the Fujinon equivalents tend to be better, which make them under-, not overpriced.

19. Bob Brandoff

Jan 5, 2014
    Please post some photo's taken with the X-E2 and the Hasselblad lenses.. V lenses?

20. Bob Brandoff

Jan 5, 2014