Adapting m39 Leica screw mount

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Korno, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Korno

Korno New to FujiXspot

Feb 17, 2013
    I've just ordered a couple adapters from Fotodiox, really looking forward to that!
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem I can collapse the lens within the body, so I'll have to fasten it permanently extended.
    Anybody have experience/images from adapting old glass like this?

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Yes, I do, with my Ricoh GXR. There are examples on my Flickr, such as:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/sets/72157627603930627/

...the principle is exactly the same. The golden rule is DO NOT COLLAPSE COLLAPSIBLE LENSES. The M adaptor comes with a gauge - make sure you use it.

I have a 5cm Elmar, a 50mm Elmar M and a 90mm Elmar all of which give great results but must never be collapsed for want of grinding your rear elements into your sensor. The 3.5cm Elmar f3.5 in particular loved the GXR sensor - mine is over 60 years old.

I now have the means to attach LTM (CV, Leica and FSU), M (Leica and Zeiss), R, Nikon and Olympus lenses from 15 to 200mm to my X-E1, and I am itching to do so - right now, all I lack is the time! ;):rolleyes: As soon as I can I shall post the results.

Sent from another Galaxy

3. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Korno-I used a collapsible 5cm Russian Zorki L39 lens on my mu43s, not on my Xs, but as Bill says, the principle is the same-never collapse it while mounted on your camera. I taped the lens extended with black masking tape so I wouldn't accidentally collapse it. I've also had no problems at all using my M and L39 glass (as well as old Olympus OM and Pen F lenses) with my X-Pro1.

4. Korno

Korno New to FujiXspot

Feb 17, 2013
    Very cool Lightmancer! Makes me even more excited for my adapters to get here. I love your photos of the lenses on the body too, the 3.5 Elmar especially looks good! I shoot a lot of different lens mounts as well. I ordered the same adapter, but to my D700 also. Hoping the full frame will allow me to replicate the wide open, swirl type DoF digitally. Love using Olympus glass too, om and digital. I've found Canon fd lenses too, adapt really well to mirrorless. So many possibilities!

Thanks for the advice on the collapsibility too Penfan. I was thinking electric tape around the base, or maybe just one of those thick blue rubber bands.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spylaw4

spylaw4 New to FujiXspot

Feb 15, 2013
    London
    I must look out a couple of trial shots with my Summarit 5cm f1.5. Dreamy look. L39 adapter then the Fuji M adapter. I also have the Elmar-M 50/2.8 which remains one of my favourite lenses.

6. spylaw4

spylaw4 New to FujiXspot

Feb 15, 2013
    London
    This is the one I was referring to:

20121231-0546-259.

Hmm, smaller than I thought it was going to be.....

7. Greyelm

Greyelm FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    S.London, England
    Malcolm
    This links to a post I made a couple of years ago on this subject

http://www.mu-43.com/f40/collapsible-lenses-5491/

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Heck, I don't even collapse my old 50mm Summicron on the Bessa R film camera; otherwise it would crash into the metal shutter, making an unholy mess and expensive repair.

Probably not as expensive as crashing into your sensor, though. Leaving it extended isn't so bad.