Advice on Canon FD adapters and other question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Munene, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Munene

Munene New to FujiXspot

Mar 29, 2014
    Hi All,

I just received my X-E2 with the kit 18-55 lens. Love it (with the usual OMG why did they do that?!! issues). Anyway, I have a Canon FTb with several FD lenses. Two I am most keen on are my 35mm f2 and a newer (i.e. more plastic, but lighter) 28mm f2.8. I realize the focal length is 50% more on the APS-C, but how much light will I lose? That is what will the f2 & f2.8 be on the XE2?

And, I am on Amazon looking at adapters. There are several for around $15 and others for $30, $40, and $60. Any reason to not go inexpensive? I mean there is no glass involved...

Thanks.

Munene

2. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    cheaper mounts can have slack in it. also, some offer a focusing ring or better infinite focusing. that's all i can remember off the top of my head with my adapters.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

3. ZR22

ZR22 New to FujiXspot

Mar 19, 2014
    I believe you wil only be able to use manual focus as there will be no power to the lens thru the adapter

4. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    Another aspect that often causes trouble are internal reflections. You want that thing to be pitch matte black on all inner surfaces including the surfaces of your lens mount - they rarely are. Just inspect the entire inside (w/ mounted lens) with a bright flashlight and treat any suspicious areas with some matte black paint. Regarding tolerances some of my cheaper chinese adapters don't allow focusing @ infinity but so far I haven't had any noteworthy decentering or wobble issues, as opposed to some of my (ex-)lenses, especially Sony e-mount glass.

5. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    There will be no light loss with regard to using your lenses on the Fuji - the f2 lens will still be f2 and the f2.8 with be f2.8. Effective FOV will be 1.5x the focal length of the lens as you mentioned.

As far as adapters go, it really just depends on what it is worth to you. I don't see the need/justification for a crazy expensive adapter unless you're using it to mount crazy expensive lenses. If I had a $3,000 Leica lens, maybe I'd spring for a $200 adapter, but for my Pentax, Olympus and FD glass I've found that the Fotodiox branded adapters have been plenty serviceable for my needs with my Canon and m43 systems. They are essentially just a hollow tube of a specified length with mount points on each end. Most will allow your lens to focus past infinity which will make the lens markings pretty useless, but you've got focus peaking and a magnified zoom for critical focus.

6. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i have some fotodiox branded adapters, and even within fotodiox, they have lower end and a pro end. i exchanged for the pro adapters because i had loose issues when adapting ai-s and fd lenses to nex with the low end ones. the pro fotodiox m-mount to nex is surprisingly a really nice quality for what it is. for konica-hexanon to nex, fotodiox sucks.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

7. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    I had a Novoflex for Nikon-G/Nex that worked much better with those lenses than $10 adapters from China but it cost almost 15 times as much. Same with those fiddly adapters for my beloved Contax G lenses. I've tried a few, Kipon, Fotodiox, Kiwi, chinese no-names but for me the Metabones works best - focusing is really smooth. The rest in my box, some 15 or so adapters for the Nex and Fuji X are chinese El cheapos and work just OK for me but in the meantime I've thrown away the real bad ones.

8. ImageNation

ImageNation FujiXspot Rookie

May 1, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Rob
    You get what you pay for. Or rather quality costs money, and where the fudge. factor is).

it depends on your expectations of quality and your budget for that quality.

Novoflex and Metabones adapters are expensive. The machining, materials, design and finish is superb. the mounts are square and tight and stay that way over a wide temperature range.

Once you go cheaper you will sacrifice some or all of these. Some will always affect quality, and some will only do it over time.

I have yet to find an adapter (even at $5 landed in US price, that will damage either lens or camera. If you have the time, buy cheap and reputable Fotodiox, Rainbow Imaging, Anything sold by a reputable camera store or Amazon Prime. Use it and then you will see what you actually gain by going high up market. In my view if I have not damaged my equipment or upset a customer go the route of education, so you can workout how much something is worth to you.

If someone else is paying you money to take important pictures that have to be right first time, by Metabones or Novoflex.

The Cheapo adapters use anodized alluminun tubes, anodized black,that finish has some sheen, so shooting into bright light sources there is a real chance of flare. matte paint, etched flicking or other matte light dispensing finishes on the inside will reduce this chance. the longer the adapter the greater the chance of inducing flare, a Leica M to Fuji X is tiny, A Pentax to Fuji X is huge.

The actual bayonet is usually CNC machined out of stainless steel. The beauty of CNC machining is that tolerances are specified and variations will usually have no effect on optical quality. However material is money. A bayonet flange with a thicker base is preferred as it can distort less a thicker adapter body is preferred as it provides a better anchor for two precision fittings, the greater the number of screws (and their material) is preferred to ensure the squareness and tightness of the anchoring of the mounts over time.

An ideal situation would be most machined duraluminum adapter body with good interior matte finish and Stainless bayonet mounts with 1/16" deep flange keyed at three points and screwed at five points with chemically blackened hard brass high tension screws.

At present I have seen Metabones and Novoflex being something I would risk other peoples money on..... Fotodiox I would use for anything except Leica R (it is a really tough bit of machining) and anything lighter than a nikon 105/2.5 body mounted......... ( the heavier the lens the best reason to use the mount as the main support and hang lens and camera off it). I have. Canon FD 200/2.8IF that has given much sharper shots since i used a mount with a tripod mount. if the mens has a tripod mount use it and hang camera off it.

One Canon specific point. Older style Breach lock FD lenses (the ones that look so cool but are usually inferior to later FDn can be used on the cheapest mount because the lenses lock ring takes all the strain. If you are using an FDn lens (where tolerances are more critical to get it to lock), go for the Fotodiox or a known sturdier mount.

Of course this is my personal opinion, but there should be enough reasons to use this to make your own best decisions. If you are already using an X system, chances are you have learned to make those (adds the right level of sneering superiority and irony I think).

• Like Like x 2