Any left-eyed shooters?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by DrMickey, Feb 2, 2013.

1. DrMickey

DrMickey New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    JAX, FL
    I love the X series cameras, but have nowhere close to try them in person. So my question is simple: if you are a left-eyed shooter, does the viewfinder eyepiece--situated on the left side of the camera--cause any issues for you?

Thanks!

Michael

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Not for me. But YMMV.

3. AZK9

AZK9 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Stan
    I have the X100 and have always tended to use my left eye when using viewfinders. When I read that people were thrilled they didn't get nose smudges on the LCD by using their right eyes, I gave it a go and still ended up using my left eye out of habit. I wear glasses, and don't have any issues, but I would definitely suggest you try this out in person if possible to make sure it's not going to be an issue for you (though I understand that it may be difficult to get one in person due to your location).

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I used to shoot with my left eye, accessing the the drive, ae, and af buttons were a lot easier but I was finding that my nose was pressing on the LCD screen all the time, I have since then started to shoot with my right eye which I am not used to, I find that it's a little bit awkward and reaching for the drive, ae, and af buttons a little bit awkward as well, on the other hand my nose doesn't press on to the LCD screen and I don't have to clean smudges all the time.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    No. I've been shooting cameras for years with viewfinders on the left. I plunk my left eye onto them and deal with the nose marks on the body. If my nose were sharp and scratched the LCD I might find it a problem. Oh! an old printer's trick for dealing with scratched negatives was to apply a little nose grease on the scratch; it sometimes worked when the commercial remedy did not. Like on an LCD, you cleaned it off afterwards, but it taught me never to despise nose smudges!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Fine for me, but I have used Leica M and screw for years and am used to it.

Regards,

Bill

7. DrMickey

Feb 2, 2013
    JAX, FL
    I used to own the Pentax K7 and K5 and my nose turned on Live View more times than I can count; missed a lot of birding shots that way.
    Today I went to the beach and shot with my Nikon DSLR and a Panasonic FZ200, and I kept this post in mind. Yes, the Nikon LCS was smudged. The Panasonic LCD was folded in facing the body so no smudges on the LCD.
    Maybe it's a matter of perception; there isn't much distance between viewfinder on the left and center viewfinder. So Maybe I would get used to it.

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    I'm a left eye shooter, nose smudges can be wiped off. I've tried to move to the right but find it too awkward.

9. raaisma

raaisma New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm a left-eyed shooter. I find the nose smudging is a bit annoying but it doesn't bother me over the time.

10. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    left eye shooter here I have zero problems

11. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've always been a right-eyed shooter but that may be changing in a few years. It is clear that my vision in my right eye is deteriorating faster than in my left eye. Already, I really have to make major diopter adjustments for my right eye. At some point I'll reach the limit and have to use my left eye if I want to manual focus any longer. Yes, I could wear glasses while shooting (I have them for reading now). But smudged LCDs would annoy me less. :D

12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Left eyed with progressive lenses and although I don't have a Fuji with interchangeable lenses, my X100's viewfinder works fine for me.:)

13. DrMickey

Feb 2, 2013
    JAX, FL
    Progressives

I wear progressives as well and I am also wondering about the difference between a hybrid VF and the less complex EVF. Analysis paralysis, I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  14. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I'm left-eyed, and my right eye is weaker than my left. I am managing to shoot with the EVF but it is certainly more of a conscious struggle than using my left. I expect it won't be an issue for me, as my primary shooting style involves tripods and slow shutter speeds.

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I used to own an Olympus PEN with the wonderful EVF. Now I own the X100 with its wonderful EVF and had no problems with either of them.

I know what you mean about "analysis paralysis".:wink_old:''

P.S. Just to be clear the hybrid option is something one chooses - as in the little lever is there, if you want to use it.

16. boid

boid FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Nice meeting you all. I thought I was the only one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Nope. Another lefty here too. Interesting in that it's the one that needs the most correction.

I tried shooting a bit with my right eye yesterday. Bah!

18. Thinh L.

Thinh L. FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    Left eyed as well, never had any problem using the VFs on a Fuji or NEX. Actually felt more comfortable for me.

19. fujidanny

fujidanny FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Oh, Yes, I admit to being a left-eye-guy pressing the nose on my LCD...:eek:
    There are no problems - thanks god it's not a touchscreen !:clap2:
    Cheers!
    Fujidanny

20. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I use my OM-D EVF that way ... I think I disabled the touch screen on that camera. I can't imagine how annoying that would be if it couldn't be disabled.