Aperture blade chatter still going on?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Armanius, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I just bought an used XE1 with 18-55 and also an used 35/1.4. With the latest firmwares on the XE1 and the lenses, the 35/1.4 is chattering like it did when I was an early adopter of the XPro1. I can hear some chatter on the 18-55, but it's nowhere nearly as loud as the 35/1.4.

Didn't Fuji get rid of the chattering with the first or second firmware update with the XPro1?

2. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Surely someone else owns a XE1 and a 35/1.4 in this forum ....

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't recall because I no longer have a Fuji ILC, but I think one of the newer firmwares brought back the chatter when it solved something else. How else would they get you to buy an X-E2 (actually I don;t know that it won;t chatter on there....I'm just being goofy)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj FujiXspot Regular

Aug 25, 2013
    There's some action going(now that I've looked), but I've never noticed any sound.
    I will pay attention and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    How long did you have my XE1 for? One week?

6. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    It seems an inconsequential thing to me. It was with the Panny 25mm on micro four thirds, and so too with the Fuji stuff.

The camera works great, the lens works great. So what's to worry? -- Or more Alfred E. Neumann: "What, Me Worry?"

7. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    John, so is the answer yes, your XE1+35/1.4 does chatter?

I realize some folks don't care if their gear makes funny noises. I get it. That's the same response that I got from lots of Fuji (and/or Oly/Pany) apologists when I first got the XPro1 at launch (and/or as it relates to the PL25 on Oly bodies). But Fuji supposedly got rid of the chatter, but I guess they brought it back.

8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Can you post a video that illustrates the issue?

9. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

Yes, it's doing the aperture dance. I believe it's tied to the camera metering for the evf. The 14mm does the same thing, but the aperture is tiny, so you don't notice. The 18-55 does it and it is slightly audible. I think it's related to the physical aperture size. The bigger the louder. I would guess the new 56mm 1.2 will be the worst, unless the aperture blades are made to open and close quieter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Of course all live view cameras change the aperture during metering (even the new Canon hybrid DSLR), but aperture chatter refers to a distinct noise that is associated with these changes. This noise was loud enough to inflame a minority of users. After a shitstorm in the DPR user forums about the issue, Fuji slowed down the aperture changes in the 35mm lens, limiting the performance of the camera/lens and basically eliminating the noise in the process. Users were happy and stopped complaining (aka shitstorm was over), probably because most have them didn't know that the louder the noise, the better the camera's performance (with regards to quickly adapting to changing light conditions).

Testing my 35mm after the update, it's still almost impossible to hear any aperture noises during light metering. In fact, my 18mm (which has yet to be updated) is a notch louder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    The 35 is the noisiest lens I own, lol. Especially when the camera first powers on. If it wasn't such an absolutely exceptional lens maybe it would matter more but I have shot that lens now under some very demanding conditions and it just doesn't let me down.

I think it is like some friends I hold dear: some have some very annoying tendecies but I love them so it doesn't matter, lol.

• Like Like x 1