Auxiliary Lenses...

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by VinVin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    ok, so I understand that Fuji has their own set of Auxiliary lenses for the x100, but they are also fairly expensive at like 300 bucks a pop. So my question is, has anyone ever tried out the e-bay screw on lenses?
    I see a 0.45x, a 2x, a 3.5x, and a 0.3x fisheye in terms of these no-name auxiliary lenses and combined they come to less than 200, so what exactly warrants the 300 dollar price tag? Are the optics really that much better? Is it mainly because you can set the x100 to the mode specifically for the WCL and the TCL?

All this auxiliary lens business is making me dizzy. What is the difference? (other than focal length and name of course)

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    You will hear me say this from time to time, and it is true in this case as ever - "buy cheap buy twice". I had the TCL for my X100s and could not fault the build quality or performance. Why waste all that optical goodness by sticking a milk bottle in the optical path...?;)

4. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    If you ever disappear unexpectedly, Bill, we'll know to point the finger at Lensbaby...

5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  6. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    Ok, so it seems. Pretty unanimous that those ebay ones are crap lol but then comes the question, what did fuji do with the wcl and the tcl that makes them that much better? I really want to know.

7. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    making a better product costs more money

• Like Like x 1
  8. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    Lol yes, i figured that but what about this product is so much better, i'm not talking optically but specs wise. Is it the way the glass is made? The way it connects? Or the way it has a specific setting on the camera itself. What is the reason why it's that much better, aside from the reasons stated above?
    I'm not trying to troll, i'm really intrigued by this. On a side note, i took a look at the link posted by ean and maybe it's just a matter of style, i actually really like the softness at the edges and the imperfections of those teleconverters!

9. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    lol.....I don't actually know WHY, but it either costs more in materials or more in manufacture (or possibly both)

10. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    Lol, ok i guess i should go do some more research instead of taking the easy way out haha. I'm so fixated on this issue right now!

11. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Oh it's both.

- Starting with good quality glass costs $.
    - Machining metal to VERY tight tolerances for an exact fit takes expensive tooling and well-trained operators.
    - Being able to make the lenses exactly the same way every time is actually very, very difficult. It's not uncommon for ANY manufacturer to have variances from copy to copy, and it only takes a few duds to ruin your reputation and make buyers skeptical. Nailing this takes $.
    - Designing a lens that performs as well as the Fuji XF lenses do is also very difficult, requires expensive engineers, etc. It's not easy to do... if it were, everyone else would do it. Edge-to-edge sharpness at all apertures, color control, contrast, flare resistance, all of it takes R&D and experience.

If you cheat on all of the above -- cheap materials, poorly copied designs, poorly machined parts, mid-grade optical glass, cheap and poorly-applied coatings, low-skill workforce, old cheap machinery with loose tolerances... you will make lenses. They will look like lenses. You can sell them as lenses, and they will make images. They can cost a lot less. But...

- They will be soft at the edges, especially at large apertures
    - They will flare badly in direct light
    - They will vary slightly copy to copy, meaning some % of your buyers will receive duds, and come back after you for a replacement. They'll also talk about it online.
    - They won't communicate with the camera, they won't offer auto focus, the camera can't control the aperture, etc

Very few people buy a cheap chinese MF knock-off design lens and wind up thinking "this is AWESOME why doesn't everyone do it?!" They have their uses, they are not entirely without value, and I'm not dismissing them because they're inexpensive. I dismiss them because they are poor tools, and I cannot arrive at a decision to buy one. If $ is the biggest concern, then get an adapter and buy old Rokkor / Hexar etc glass. They're optically better than the new chinese stuff, they'll outlast you, and they're usually under $100.

12. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Agreed, but I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about screw on teleconverters and wide angle adapters as the only Fuji camera he has is an X100T.

13. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
  14. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    Totally agree with that! With my micro four thirds kit I don't use the screw on teleconvertors, I normally either buy native glass or I buy legacy with adapters. I have been given a few screw on teleconvertors for the Micro Four Thirds to fit on my 17mm 2.8 pancake but each time I felt from a purely quality perspective they were horrible. There was however a lens that I am still in love with, inexpensive and MF, the Rokinon Fisheye I got for my Micro Four Thirds kit, I guess I was lucky haha!

The thing with the x100 however is that it's fixed lens (one of the main reasons I wanted it tbh) but it's always good to have options. At almost 400 bucks for the WCL and the TCL I almost feel like I would rather get another lens for my micro four thirds kit. However, having the option of more than one Focal Length is almost always an advantage so I figured I would try to see which option works best. I ended up buying a few cheapo ones off the bay to test. As it stands 30 bucks each I don't mind fiddling around with and chucking if they suck. Money isn't particularly the issue, it's whether I can justify shelling out another 800 to myself. At the price of the X100T and the WCL and TCL I figure I could probably have gotten an X-Pro1 with at least one lens and a few legacy lenses.

Ultimately the cheapo screw on lenses will be a toy more than anything. If I get some good images then that's great. If not then well it's 60 bucks. Doesn't hurt as much. At the same time I'm still figuring out if the fixed 35mm equiv is really sufficient. If it is then I don't have any reason other than curiosity to buy the WCL and TCL. I guess I just like to play around with these things haha.

Depending on my experience with the X100T, I might end up considering making Fuji my Primary go to, which would end up in me buying a Fuji system camera and some lenses.

So far I'm really enjoying my time with the X100T, so eventually I really might lean more into the Fuji scene as opposed to continuing on with the Micro four thirds!

15. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    For what it's worth, I think the WCL and TCL are worthwhile if the X100/S/T is your only camera or if you really need the advantages of the leaf shutter at the 28mm and 50mm effective focal lengths. I had the WCL for a brief spell and while it worked very well and felt very nice to use, I don't think it really added much - 28mm isn't much of a departure from 35mm and it added to the size of the camera enough so that it was no longer coat pocketable. The TCL is larger still and the 50mm effective focal length again isn't different enough from the standard 35mm in my experience. Its also worth noting that a 25mm f1.4 on a m43 camera for example will give a shallower DOF than the TCL will despite the larger sensor of the Fuji. In the end, I determined that the fixed lens was plenty versatile enough to get the images I wanted to get and if I wanted to shoot portraits for example, a much longer lens on my m43 camera was better suited to that task.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    Yeah, given that my m43 kit is fairly well rounded right now it's not even a matter of needing the focal lengths as much as I just want to toy around with them. Now, if Fuji were to say, make a 12mm equivalent fisheye adapter for the X100 that doesn't cause vignetting... I'd buy that!

17. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    In contrast, if they made an 85mm equivalent adapter the X100S would become my only camera...but neither of those are likely scenarios ;-)

18. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    I agree haha, the likelihood of those two happening are so low. I hope companies like Rokinon or Samyang figure something out for the X100! haha

19. VinVin

VinVin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    GTA Canada
    Kevin
    ok, so I now know why these Fuji ones cost so much and why these ebay ones are so cheap. The ones I bought on ebay came, packed in bubble wrap. As I was looking at them and fiddling with the caps, they essentially unscrewed and the glass portion of the lenses just fell out after the metal casing unscrewed. I put them onto my adapter and the image quality was alright, but nothing great.

I guess I shoulda listened to everyone instead of going ahead and wasting my money.

On a side note the "APS-C" cctv lenses that I bought for my micro four thirds gear are amazing!