Back in Black

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by ean10775, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    After adopting a slightly different approach to processing RAF files and applying it to some older shots from when I previously owned an X100S and an X-E1, I decided to give Fujifilm and the X-Trans sensor another go, seeing as I really missed the experience of shooting with the X100S. I 'pre-ordered' a black version of the camera from B&H on Monday assuming I'd have some time to second guess myself since they weren't in stock. I was then shocked to receive a shipping notice on Tuesday evening saying my order was on its way. I guess it was meant to be. Its good to be back.

View attachment 19250
    X1000043 by ericarthur, on Flickr

12981552913_04515920c5_c.
    X1000050 by ericarthur, on Flickr

12981560613_bb3d9afa65_c.
    Back in Black by ericarthur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  2. Christilou

Christilou FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    I'm glad you did, now we'll get to see more of your lovely pictures :). Sweet little girl too .

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Good to have you back Eric.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Snap.....I have the black version as well and it is a great looking camera (handles better and faster than my X100).

Glad you made it back to the fold

• Like Like x 1
  5. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    Black version looks great!!

6. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    For now - it won't once I gaffer tape a 1/4 CTO gel over the flash. I was actually surprised at how modern the black version looks compared to the sliver. With the silver X100S I got near daily inquiries as to why I still shot film in the digital age. I don't think I'll get those comments with the black version.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Glad you don't mind them seeing as she's pretty much the reason I reacquired the camera - I just wasn't taking my 5DII anywhere with me and my iPhone wasn't cutting it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Congrats, Eric and your daughter is exquisite, as is the image quality of the X100s in your capable hands. Glad to have you back!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rich9cinti

rich9cinti New to FujiXspot

Mar 15, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Nice and clean images. To the OP, what were the reasons why you left the first time? My X100S is only 3 days old and I'm digging it so far.

10. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    A few reasons some of which have been fixed with firmware- mainly being unable to come to grips with the X-Trans sensor though. To me, I think it's good for photos of people at wide to medium apertures and and close to medium focus distances. I didn't like the way it renders small details at smaller apertures and longer distances (think landscapes). I also didn't care for the skin smoothing that can tend to happen with the JPEGs. I know a lot of this has to do with me using LR4 to process the photos though. My understanding is that Irident and Photo Ninja do a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. rich9cinti

rich9cinti New to FujiXspot

Mar 15, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Thanks, I definitely need to look into this since I use LR4 for my processing. I wonder if reducing NR would help in that respect (smoothing in jpegs).

All of my shots thus far are boring test shots. Weather here in SW Ohio is still cold and windy so getting out to do some street shooting will aid in judging the images better. Thanks for the heads up.

Hey, just realized I got your welcome greeting at the other Fuji forum (Fuji X Forum). You're from Cleveland, right? I was having buggy issues with the other forum on my iPad 2 so thought this was the better of the two. Plus I think this is the sister site for my M4/3 forum.

12. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Yes, I'm in Cleveland. The weather has been the same here. I like both forums but feel this is the friendlier one.

As far as NR goes, even at -2 it's still far to aggressive to me, at least at high ISOs and some would argue even at lower values. I can live with noise provided there is still plenty of fine detail.

• Like Like x 1
  13. iSilentP

iSilentP FujiXspot Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Hey guys. I'm an X-Shooter as well as from Cleveland (Avon). I'm enjoying my x100s and also my newly acquired X-E2. I can't wait for Lightroom to fully support the X-trans sensor. It would be interesting to see how much better my pictures will be.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

14. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Welcome. I'm on the East side in Lyndhurst. I agree with you on looking for good X-Trans support from LR in the future. I'm using LR4.3 currently though I understand the current version of LR5 is better. I figure I'll upgrade once the get it sorted so it's on par with Capture One, Irident and Photo Ninja

15. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    So about two years in now I continue my love/hate relationship with the X100S. Strangely enough, whereas I used to really struggle with the IQ/look of the files of the X-Trans sensor, I now quite like the clarity and sharpness I see compared to files from other cameras. However, I'm continually frustrated with some limitations of the camera's controls and features:

1. AF is simply terrible - even compared to m43 cameras of a few years ago. I've pretty much resorted to MF with peaking for static subjects or the shutter mash technique when shooting action. Assuming it worked, face detection would be a godsend on this camera. I don't anticipate Fuji offering it in a firmware update though since I'm sure they want us all to upgrade to the X100T.

2. Minimum shutter speed limit in Auto ISO - the fastest shutter speed you can set it 1/125 sec, why? X-Mount cameras can set any speed up to 1/500 sec, can't they? The high ISO performance of the X-Trans sensor is wonderful and I'm very comfortable shooting RAW up to ISO 6400, but 1/125 sec leaves me with blurred photos of my daughter, but if I manually select 1/250 sec I lose control over exposure comp. I'm not looking to control ISO with the exposure comp dial in fully manual the way some people are, but just let me set the minimum shutter speed to whatever I want (within reason)

3. Customizable Q menu - With only one function button I have to choose between the ND filter and ISO (since I can't set the minimum shutter speed I want and leave the camera in auto ISO as I mentioned). If the ND filter was a Q menu item, it would be much easier to activate it on demand rather than delving into the menus.

4. Pointless C-AF - Why Fuji even bothered to give C-AF a dedicated switch position on the camera baffles me based on how C-AF is implemented. If anyone has found a good use for it, I'd love to hear it, but for me I've found no scenario where I want to continuously focus on whatever is in the dead center of the frame regardless of whether the shutter is pressed or not. A more conventional implementation of C-AF would be preferable, even if it didn't work all that well.

5. Lack of control over video - I don't need to say any more as its the same across the entire range

Still, when I look back over the images I've taken in the past two years, the ones that mean the most to me have come from this camera. Frustrations aside, I see no reason to upgrade to the X100T, though I would certainly welcome a firmware update to address the Auto ISO issue I have.

With some encouragement in the form of a discount coupon from KEH, I even picked up the WCL-X100 adapter (something I said I'd never do).

• Like Like x 2