Before & After: Jacob's Ladder

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bobmielke, Sep 10, 2013.

1. bobmielke

bobmielke FujiXspot Regular

Aug 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I used this side-by-side comparison with my students to show the usefulness of shooting in RAW format. The dynamic range is so great there's a tremendous range of highlight & shadow that can be overcome.

Jacob%27s%20Ladder-L.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    That's quite an improvement!
    When I see comparisons like these, I always wonder how well the jpeg would've fared if it had been pushed that far. Probably not as well as the raw file, but how much of a difference would there be?

3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It would be nice to get the RAW file, so everybody could give it a shot.

4. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

Is it possible to keep the deep blue sky and better exposed tents in the 1st photo with using sliders in LR. Or do you need HDR or Photoshop layers?

5. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Huge improvement, Bob.

Juangrande: IN LR (I use LR5) you can use the luminance slider. It is also possible to use the local adjustments function for dodging/burning (LR5 offers even some D/B presets). Perhaps Bob uses a more advanced method but this one works for me. No need for HDR software or PS.

Peter

6. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    It's surprising how much information can be recovered from such an unpromising start.

And it's good to see that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is still getting work, and hasn't lost his ability to stand on one leg after all these years.

-R

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Very nice recovery on the photo and on Ian Anderson's part, as well.:biggrin_old:

8. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Yeah, but he's not playing his flute while walking the rope plank...I'm not impressed under or properly exposed. :p

9. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    The flute is down his left trouser leg. He gets it out for a few bars of 'Hunting Girl' when he's half-way across, complete with rude gestures.

-R