Believe it or not: I bought an X-E1 and 18-55mm used

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by entropic remnants, Sep 5, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    So, I've been grooving on the incredible detail of the X-trans and wondering what my large urbex prints would look like from one. Looks like I can find out now.

I found a used X-E1, extra battery, and the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 zoom for $922 shipped.

I'll sell the 12-35mm f/2.8 Panasonic now and make the Fuji my wide zoom camera, and keep the GH2 as my ultrawide and long zoom camera. BUT: Fuji is coming out with that 10-24mm zoom which could change quite a bit as if it's a credible ultrawide, that would be something I'd go for.

Oh dear. I wasn't going to change systems. I said I wasn't. I have no will power. But selling the 12-35mm will mostly pay for the X-E1 so I'm covered. I'll sell the GH1 as well but it's not worth a lot but between the two of them it'll pay for the Fuji.

Hope Gary and Ray don't see this. They've been "gently" pushing me towards the Fuji X-trans and I don't want them to know I succumbed...

Shhhhh!!! Keep this between us...

2. mnhoj

mnhoj FujiXspot Regular

Aug 25, 2013
    Congratulations John.
    Did the same here and love it.

3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Haha - sucker! ;)

I knew you were going to get sucked in by that insidious X100, lol.

It was a slower process for me but I have to admit at this point with the July FW updates I no longer have much holding me back from switching to Fuji as a primary system. It's now more of a question of which m4/3 gear I sell off, rather than if.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    The X100 is a classic. Perhaps you can have both?

Either way, I hope you enjoy your new camera set up, John!

5. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    resistance is futile

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Congrats John - I'm sure you'll like it. Don't forget about the 14mm - its an absolutely wonderful wide angle prime. Its the only thing that's KEPT me in the Fuji system. And I may add the 10-24 if I decide I want to go that ultra-wide, but I haven't been using UW much lately, so maybe not. But I'd imagine the 10mm (15 equivalent) will probably be every bit as wide as the Pany 7-14 given the 3-2 aspect versus 4:3 with the Panasonic.

-Ray

7. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, that 14mm is a heck of a lens for sure. I need a true UWA (and I'm sure John feels the same knowing his love for the 7-14) so I'm chomping at the bit for that 10-24 to be released!

Btw John, any time you want to meet up and play with any of the Fuji lenses just shoot me a PM and let me know :)

8. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    I'll keep the X100 as a carry about. The X-E1 will be a one-lens system camera, lol -- for now. Basically it will supplant the GH1 wearing the 12-35mm f/2.8.

And Fuji as the Borg is a great concept, Luke, lol.

9. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    My thinking too, Ray. My urbex shooting style is highly dependent on ultrawide perspective even if it's not a "big" shot so that 10-24's performance will be a deciding factor system-wise in the long term.

10. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    John, the cat is out of the bag,
    But on you I will not rag.
    Congrats on the move to the ILC and Xtrans sensor,
    In your hands the camera will be a 'Keeper' dispenser.

Gary

11. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Thank you, Gary!

12. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Camera arrived today and I'm already thrilled with it. I'm going to give it a bit of a workout tonight at the concert venue. I'm downloading firmware updates as we speak.

13. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    It will be great to see what you do with it!

14. neiltluck

neiltluck FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    Alfreton, Derbyshire
    Neil
    Yes John, do post your thoughts on the camera and some pics when you can. Ill be really interested to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using FujiXspot mobile app

15. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    I appreciate what you're saying, thanks -- but I don't think anybody REALLY wants to hear my thoughts in my head, lol...

First up: feels right. Like the 18-55 zoom based on feel and operation and I wasn't sure I would. Tonight I'll see what I can do but in the dark concert I suspect many shots will be at ISO 6400 so that will be quite a test. From what I've seen of others shots that is not really an impediment for online viewed images.

I will shoot it JPG the whole night as well. My experience with the X100 makes me comfortable with that. I'll be taking the X100 with me as well so I might do some comparative work.

I have a buddy who is lending me a 35mm f/1.4 but it's not here for tonight. I may buy that lens too.

16. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Welcome to the dark side!

Btw, if anyone knows someone who wants to make the move to the Fuji X system but don't want to take the deep plunge by also getting any of the other lenses with the current sale, ********** is selling "brand new in box" X-E1s kits with the 18-55 for 999.99usd (an employee at ********** told me once that these are really new-new and not demos). That's a great deal given that the X-E1 sells for 799.99 new. You're in effect getting the 18-55 for 200usd. :D