Beyond the specs: XP2 versus XE3

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Anthony Wilkins, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Anthony Wilkins

Anthony Wilkins FujiXspot Rookie

Jun 2, 2016
    Anthony Wilkins
    I was an early adopter of the XP1 and original three primes. I've been contemplating a second body with all the new goodies. I've poured over the specs of both the X-E3 and X Pro 2. The price and size of the X-E3 are certainly nice but I love my X P1 and its Hybrid VF. The Graphite version of the XP2 is beautiful in pics and videos.

So beyond what I can tell in pictures and in the specs of both, what can you tell me to help me decide.

TIA

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I can only speak on things about the X-Pro2 as I have no experience with the X-E3.

If you love the experience of shooting with and X-Pro body and hybrid viewfinder, you very well may not like the transition to the X-E line. You also may not like the ergonomics of moving to a smaller body. I love the more rugged build of the X-Pro2 and have used the weather sealing on multiple occasions. The dual card slots are also very nice to have. When we travel, I can put in two 32gb cards and shoot all I want in raw without ever having to worry about carrying extra cards or running out of space. Same goes for covering events, or a day out with the family. This option also works for any size card. If you shoot jpg only, you can run with a pair of 8gb cards which are a much lower cost, and shoot all day. The optical viewfinder experience has been improved over the X-Pro1 making it even more enjoyable to use. Being old and kinda set in my ways, I prefer the tactile experience of using a joystick nub for changing the autofocus points over the new touchscreen method. And I prefer having the 4 way D pad for controls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Wilkins

Jun 2, 2016
    Anthony Wilkins
    Bit the bullet and ordered a graphite X Pro 2.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Congratulations. You will love it.

5. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, that was quick. I suspect you already knew what you wanted. And congratulations. :2thumbs:

Meanwhile, I think you made the right choice, especially if it was a case of either the XP2 or the X-E3. Adding the X-E3 to your kit would be an entirely different proposition. And would most likely end up with you adding at least some of the compact f/2.0 primes.

I've had an interest in the X-E3 myself. But if I bought one, it's quite possible I would use it as a semi-point-and-shoot -- dipping into aperture and shutter priority, and exposure compensation when needed -- but generally keeping it simple.

Or is that what the X80 would be for?

6. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I've found that the f2 primes are a good match for the Pro2. Lightweight, fantastic image quality, and weather sealed. A weather sealed body is only one half of the equation. One can go out with a f2 prime mounted on the camera, and another in your pocket.

7. Anthony Wilkins

Jun 2, 2016
    Anthony Wilkins
    I had already ordered a 50f2 to go with my Pro 1 and of course the graphite comes with a graphite 23f2. I have, love, and won't sell off the original 35f1.4 so I doubt I'll get the 35f2. The next two lenses on the shopping lest for the GAS station are the 90f2 and 16f1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Both of those are fantastic lenses.

9. plaatje

plaatje FujiXspot Regular

Mar 11, 2016
    Jos
    Although I've never seen one in real life I 'm sure it's a beauty. Curious how a "normal" black lens would look on it.