Boy I sure miss this place! (and photo gear talk)

vincechu

Veteran
Guess the title says it all.

Having sold all my m4/3rds stuff and bought into pentax I don't really visit this site much, though I still have my LX5. I have to admit in the last few months I've not been here much as I've mainly been around numerous forums more geared towards pentax but non have come close to the amazingly friendly and warm atmosphere here, and at mu-43 which Amin also runs (atleast i think he still does?).

I bought the K5 and the FA 31 ltd, for the image quality benefits. BUT the weight and large size (compared to what I used to have i know the k5 is smaller than most DSLRs) mean I often leave it at home, and I'm finding I'm taking less photos than i used to.

Finally the value of the Fa 31mm ltd and K5 makes me baby my gear a lot, and I feel I've spent too much on photography - especially as I'm no pro! ;-) I guess I bought the 31mm ltd due to LBA (lens buying addiction), for its bokeh and legendary/cult status, but in all honesty it doesn't suit my needs well.

So I guess I'm considering selling everything and starting from scratch again!

The X100 looks a very interesting option - love the sexy retro styling, but i only wish it had interchangeable lenses.

The GXR and 28mm and 50mm is also looking good - I've seen some beautiful images over at the GXR section here and it will cover my needs well - the 31ltd doesnt focus as closely as I'd like so the 50mm macro would be perfect.

Guess that was pretty much a "i'm back" and an update on what I've been doing the last few months post.

+Its been a little interesting ride for me also. MY really first site I participated in was mu43 also, and like you Vince, sold my 4/3 gear. I eventuallyl found
my way here and now a fixture of sorts. I know a few people who run through cameras just like yourself and myself. Either way this place is laid back and
comfy for me.

I really believe the camera makes no difference in your work. If you like it.... nothing else should matter. The x100 looks pretty cool and has been getting
mixed reviews... but hey the best movies Ive liked got bad reviews from people... its what you make of it.

My thought is, if it looks cool and retro looking and will make people's head turn when youre walking down the street.... that's the camera for me.
Cheers,
Pete

Hey Vince! I've actually been contemplating about getting a K5 and the 31 Ltd! But found myself sidetracked and ended up with a Sony A55. Then a GH2. Then returned the GH2. Then sold the A55. And got the GH2 again.

I know the K5 is pretty heavy when compared to the likes of the GH2 and A55. But is it that much bigger? How about sticking a 43 Ltd to make the combo smaller? That's the one other lens that I've been considering, IF I ever get a K5. Of course, I'm also tempted by the Nikon D7000.

Yes, a lot of us gear/lens/camera addicts here.

Guess the title says it all.

Having sold all my m4/3rds stuff and bought into pentax I don't really visit this site much, though I still have my LX5. I have to admit in the last few months I've not been here much as I've mainly been around numerous forums more geared towards pentax but non have come close to the amazingly friendly and warm atmosphere here, and at mu-43 which Amin also runs (atleast i think he still does?).

I bought the K5 and the FA 31 ltd, for the image quality benefits. BUT the weight and large size (compared to what I used to have i know the k5 is smaller than most DSLRs) mean I often leave it at home, and I'm finding I'm taking less photos than i used to.

Finally the value of the Fa 31mm ltd and K5 makes me baby my gear a lot, and I feel I've spent too much on photography - especially as I'm no pro! ;-) I guess I bought the 31mm ltd due to LBA (lens buying addiction), for its bokeh and legendary/cult status, but in all honesty it doesn't suit my needs well.

So I guess I'm considering selling everything and starting from scratch again!

The X100 looks a very interesting option - love the sexy retro styling, but i only wish it had interchangeable lenses.

The GXR and 28mm and 50mm is also looking good - I've seen some beautiful images over at the GXR section here and it will cover my needs well - the 31ltd doesnt focus as closely as I'd like so the 50mm macro would be perfect.

Guess that was pretty much a "i'm back" and an update on what I've been doing the last few months post.

Hello Vince! I do remember you selling your m 4/3rds stuff ;) I also sold my EP2 last year but kept the zuiko 50mm macro and although I bought an EPL1 body at Christmas, I feel I REALLY need a viewfinder to use this lens. I've also been spending some time contemplating buying the K5 (or maybe Kr) with the 35mm macro lens for shooting my "garden" pics but then began to look again at the new GH2. This led me to the Sonly SLT55 also......... and so it goes :D I'm interested in your views on the K5 and the fact that you feel it's too heavy to lug around in the ordinary way. I'm really confused now. I still have the Ricoh GXR 50mm and I've been getting some good pics from it. I like the colour it produces however, I still don't think it's "macro" enough for me, even though it's an excellent camera. The search goes on!

Thanks for the welcome back everyone - apologies for the late reply as I'm in the middle of an university assignment due on monday... then have another for the monday after - fun fun fun lol

Olli: i definately need to get the LX5 out - i have to admit i've neglected it during the dark winter months in favour for the K5 for its high iso performance, no problem in summer tho :)

Pete - I totally agree with you, a camera with retro looks is my cup of tea too! So far Leica's fit this the best, but price and no AF are a bit of a disappoinment. The X100 looks perfect, tho no interchangeable lenses. I often get the feeling that camera makers are "beating around the bush" so to speak. Anyone bringing out a retro style, interchangeable lens camera with good IQ, at a reasonable price will surely have a winner, olympus are really close with the E-Px series.

Armanius - hey i remember you from mu43, good to see you're still around! :D

I too was temped by the A55 as I didnt want to wait for the GH2. Then the D7000 came out and it looked ideal on paper... i had one for a week before selling it though! I just didn't like the ergonomics which were frankly awful compared to the K5, also good Nikon glass is pricey and often really big n heavy as its full frame designed.

I bought the k5 as there was a good cashback offer in the UK - saved £120GBP. The k5 is only slightly bigger than the gh2, but I think the K5 ergonomics are the best out of all cameras I've tried (the GXR probably 2nd) the grip is shaped perfectly. I think some day I'll return to m43, probably the day when they give a iso6400 similar to the k5 iso6400, I know it sounds a lot to ask but technology is sure moving fast these days! For now I think for now I'll stick with the K5 and explore lighter primes like you said, the DA 40 ltd is 90g! pretty much nothing! whilst other pentax primes are around 150g. Seems the 31is one of the heaviest at 340g, though it has crazy IQ and beautiful bokeh. Woah, didn't realised I typed so much... better stop before I write you an essay ;-)

christilou - I remember you too, its good to see that a lot of people I knew a while back are still around these forums, guess it's a testament to the great atmosphere I've missed :)

I think the K5 isn't actually that heavy in comparison to most other DSLR's at the same level - e.g. weather sealed intended for semi-pro use. However it's quite a heavy camera to carry around all the time which is something I like to do, which I guess is the main issue for me. Like i just mentioned above to Armanius, I think that has alot to do with my choice of the 31ltd lens, which is one of the heavier pentax primes at 350g, most other pentax lenses (excluding telephoto lenses) are around 200g. For now I'm considering getting a lighter prime, though it'll cost me in terms of IQ. I have the 18-55 kit lens which is around 150g, and I find that paired with the K5 it's a good weight to carry all day and is weather proof, though IQ isn't the same as a prime.

I have to say I'm quite interested in the GXR, my girlfriend has one with the superzoom module and she is planning on getting the 50mm macro in easter, I love the colour of the GXR out of camera and the feel of it - good ergonomics and very tough. I think I'm waiting for her to get the 50mm macro so i can try it, before I decided whether to get one or not. How do you find the AF? I hear a lot of complaints that its pretty slow? how does it compare to your old m43 gear?

BBW It's great to be back, and I feel back at home already :) How have you been? I remember last time we talked you expressed interest in the new Olympus premium point and shoot and were thinking of getting one to replace your LX5 as you missed the Oly colours?

Deidre - its good to be back, I hope to get more involved this time round. Regarding gear, photographers are funny people, I wonder how much money we all spend getting new gear and selling gear yearly.

Amin - thanks Amin :) good to see you're still around here and at mu-43.

Hi again Vince, regarding the GXR focus speed, in bright light it's very speedy but as soon as the light (bright sunlight!) fades it's pretty slow and for macro I'm really finding it easier to manual focus and be done with it! I would say it's on a par with the Leica X1. Bright sunlight it locks on really quickly but any sign of shade has it hunting and whirring all over the place. Not ideal but the ergonomics and build of the camera still have a pull so there always seem to be compromises. The biggest question for me is how is the viewfinder on the K5 as this is what I'm finding really a necessity for me. The GH2 has a great vf (I used to have the GH1) but the k5's vf is an unknown quantity for me and not something any of the reviews I've read have had much to say about either way. If I get a K5 I would probably go for a 40 ish limited (can't remember the exact size!) as that seems quite small together with a larger (100mm macro) that I would use primarily for my flower pics.

The Ricoh GXR focus speed is quite similar to the Leica X1. In good, bright light it's fast but as soon as the light tapers off it becomes more difficult. I would say that in the ordinary way it's fairly reasonable but for macro it's much quicker to manual focus. There is a limiter in the menu which is quite helpful but for really close stuff I would say use manual definitely.

I'm wondering how you find the viewfinder for the K5. I'm still dithering between the K5 and the GH2 for my macro stuff. I used to have a GH1 and so I feel that I have a good idea how the GH2's viewfinder will be but have no knowledge of the K5's.

Hey, thanks for the insight into the GXR af speed, I guess I'd like it faster for what I want to do more - lowlight photography and candid "capture the moment" photography where quick AF would help.

VFs - You have to remember ones EVF and ones OVF, i don't mind both however each IMO has advantages and disadvantages - I'll speak with regards to my experience with the G1(same EVF as GH1 i think) and K5

G1 EVF: Good thing is that it's bright always and you can see exactly what exposure/dof u'll get with the dof/shutter preview mode and customise the display. but it also gets a bit laggy at times i found and "dotty", though the GH2 one is apparently improved also it drains a lot of battery life as it's liveview.

K5: being optical it saves battery alot, especially when the lcd screen is off too, I find I only need to charge up once every month even with very regular shooting. Bad thing is it's brightness depends on the aperture of the lens, but it has no lag and is actually very bright and big compared to most other DSLRs. The k5 viewfinder has all necessary info, but you can't browse menus in it like the in EVFs, which was very convenient, however the k5 has lots of physical buttons for each setting so you dont really need the menus.

I have to say I dont actually mind which VF i use, theres not much difference here. But I'd chose the EVF over budget slr's dark small viewfinders.

For you I'd say perhaps the panasonic's vf would be better as you can bring up magnified liveview manual focus assist in it, which would help u for macros. The K5 can magnify the image using the LCD screen too, but not the same and probably harder to use in bright sunlight.

Finally if weight is an issue, the GH2 and a macro lens would probably be around half the weight of the K5 and the 100mm pentax macro lense (though its weather resistant and has top notch IQ)

Also the pentax system has more AF macro lenses available, and slightly cheaper than the Panny Leica 45mm macro.

Thanks for the info Vince. More for me to mull over. Don't forget that you can set the GXR to snap focus with various lengths which would speed up the focus considerably in a street shooting scenario :)

Back