Butchering the Fuji Grip

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gary, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I love the Fuji Grip. It feels great and looks great. But ... the big but, having to remove the grip to change the battery/card was a bit annoying. So I cut an access hole in the grip.

_DSF0514.

_DSF0518.

_DSF0520.

_DSF0521.

_DSF0524.
    ... and it works

_DSF0527.

_DSF0529.

_DSF0525.

I had a machine shop cut the opening and I am very disappointed in the workmanship. I think I could have done better with a hacksaw.

I thought the grip was one piece aluminum. It's not. It is three primary pieces consisting of a plastic bottom plate (black part), a steel interior plate with an 85 degree flange which is rolled up into the grip and the grip which is screwed into the 85 degree flange.

The problem cutting a hole for the Fuji Grip is the steel plate is a few thousandth of an inch smaller than the Battery Access Door. So, one has to completely remove part of the steel plate covering the battery compartment. This compromises the structural integrity of the grip leaving only a thin plastic base plate. Because of the significant loss of structural strength, I cannot recommend the methodology. Also the 85 degree flange actually acts as a tension bar compressing the grip into the body without any gaps. By removing this tension a gap was produced, (see # 6). In application this gap is gone by just gripping the camera. If you're not looking for it you won't notice this gap. If it starts to bug me I'm sure it is easily fixed with adhesive or filled with ... mmmh ... some black silicon or something. I did slop some epoxy to add more strength to the grip on both sides of the screw. I am planning to smooth everything out with some epoxy putty and paint black.

Gary

PS- The grip feels the same as it did prior to my butchering. I am planning to finish the edges with an epoxy putty and paint.
    G

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't know why it doesn't come with a cut-out to begin with. Although one might hope it would be a bit more dignified looking than yours, Gary. :tomato2:

3. Jman13

Jman13 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 7, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I too got frustrated by the Fuji grip, having to remove it every time I wanted to offload pictures. So I got this off the 'bay to use instead. Much more rigid, slightly more comfortable, full access to the battery and card door and includes an integrated Arca/Swiss style plate for the bottom and a (removable) L bracket for verticals. Since I've been using the A/S system for my tripods for years, this is just a very nice bonus, as I now don't ever have to mount a tripod plate either. Well machined and only $70.

ishoot1.

ishoot2.

4. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I agree that the iShoot and similar products have a better function ... but the form and feel are so much sexier with Fuji.

Gary

5. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Not finished with this one yet. Gotta find a better machine shop. I have one more to go.

G

6. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 8, 2013
    Off topic, but how do you like the DSPTCH strap Gary?

7. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    The strap is very nice. It is long enough to be used as a neck, shoulder or a sling. I may get another strap and if I do it will be a DSPTCH.

Gary

8. monk3y

monk3y FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    Gary, my first post here hehe that's a brave thing to do. ;)

This one looks great. I might just order one later... I am a sucker for this kind of stuff. :smile:

9. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 8, 2013
    Much appreciated.

10. Gary

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Welcome to X-World, Steven in Japan.
    The X-E1 is a camera that can.
    Beware the Fuji bug that bites,
    These cameras are as much fun as kites.

Gary

11. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    does AF work with the adapter you're using?

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

12. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks for testing and sharing this! I was thinking about such a solution but I won't consider it anymore.
    You recommended me in the oast to buy the grip and it is very handy indeed except for ....
    Ah well, it's easy to remove the grip so I'll accept the lflaw for now,
    Peter