BW with X-10

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Penfan2010, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    More with the X-10, some in-camera RAW process, some Snapseed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one snapped by my wife...as she looked through the OVF, she shouted "there's something blocking the view!!!" I had to assure her several times that the lens hood would not appear in the final photo.

[​IMG]

2. pniev

pniev Guest

Ed, your photos are very nice indeed. Your wife has talent too! My favorite is no. 1. very pleasing tones.

Out of curiosity: you use the pro-1 and the 10. When would you use either one of them?

Thanks for sharing, Peter

3. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Thanks, Peter. I am starting to use the 10 as my spontaneous walkabout camera. I use the Pro when I know I am going to be in low light, when I will need a wider angle lens ( I use a Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 L39 mount), and when I am shooting with the intent of making large prints (my wife and I are part of a local art group, and we have regular exhibits). Many times I take a second body so I can see the 10 serving as my back up to the Pro.

4. pniev

pniev Guest

Thanks, Ed. That helps in my decision-making process.

5. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I really like the Starbucks photo!

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Great to see these - I always forget about the in camera B&W processing!

A lovely quality of light and textures in your first - and a for me I get a feeling of silence. All very nice examples...and I think you'd better give your wife a camera of her own.:2thumbs: Love that landscape!

7. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Thanks, BB. It took a while to get into the groove, but I believe the X 10 feels I am now more worthy to use her well. My wife is actually a painter (I often say she had the best pick up line when we met "oh, you're a photographer? I'm a painter; can I see some of your photos? They could
    make good subjects for my next project".) :). She will use one of my cameras
    every now and then, but she tends to use her iPhone most often.

8. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    "iPhone" - aggh! Maybe get an XF-1 for ... you, but just happens to be in her favorite colors and you happen to leave it in her purse all the time. :)

(XF-1: same sensor, many capabilities of the X10, but in slimline leatherette and silver.)

Great photos, that X10 is such a capable camera. I'm going to have to push the X20 to try for a similar look!

9. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Oh, she has a choice of some fairly
    good compact alternatives, including the CanonS100 and an Oly E-PL3. She would also would not describe herself as a fashionista, so matching colors not an issue. :)

For her, it's down to minimizing the number of things she has to bring along. I do remember a time before I got into M43 and the Xs when my iPhone (mark1) was my everyday walkabout camera, so I do see where she is coming from. I'll push harder for her to bring the S100 so it becomes hers and removea one less reason for her to ask why I have so many cameras.......

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Hey, don't diss the iPhone Carl - she's been my main mode of photographing of late. I am too busy busy:boohoo: to upload and post process but I will get back to my bigger Xbabies down the line for sure.:biggrin_old:

An artist's eye sees and translates no matter what modus operandi. Ed, I think it's wonderful that you and your wife share your enjoyment of visual art.