Camera Remoe App - unable to focus after the 1st shot...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by N4865G, Feb 10, 2017.

1. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    Very good day,

I am having a major problem with my Camera Remote application for Android connecting to my XT2.

The app connects ok, and I can perform all the required actions without any problem, be it changing settings, importing pictures, etc.

After the first successful shot, however, trying to focus by clicking the live view screen triggers pop~up message : 'processing.'

There is only 'ok' option to click and doing so disconnects the application from a camera.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thank you

Dom

2. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Dom,
    I have just taken a number of pictures using the Fuji Remote App and other than a twitchy link up! I had no trouble in refocusing after any of the shots.

I find that the app takes a while to link up first time, but it is much more eager to establish the link at a second attempt, which although irritating is not fatal!

Fujifilm should update this app to be much much more versatile so as to allow control the S/speed, Aperture, ISO and also Exposure Compensation! Over to you Fujifilm.

3. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Dom, it has just occurred to, what happens if you reconnect again?

I use an iPhone 6!

4. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    Thank you very much Mike,
    On the contrary my connection with the app is almost instantenous.
    The focus problem occurs only after I actually take a shot. Any subsequent attempt to focus produces error message 'processing'.
    I decided to wait a bit, but after 10 minutes the window was still sitting there.
    On the application reconnect the same behaviour repeats - first shot focuses correctly, second one fails.
    Thank you again,
    Dom

5. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ugh. I just ran a Google search for "Fujifilm Camera Remote problems" and the only results I see involve issues with getting the app to recognize a mobile device, which clearly isn't the problem here. I'd normally say a call to Fuji is warranted. But Dominik is in Qatar. I'm not sure what his support options are.

6. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I would try under the connection settings, go to wireless settings, then general settings, then click reset wireless settings and see if that helps.

Also, I am wondering if you have your camera set-up to transfer your photos to your phone. In addition to controlling the camera at the same time, it might be too much "traffic". If you have transfer of images set-up, I would try turning that off. You can always transfer them later when you are finished.

• Like Like x 2
  7. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    Thanks, I do each task separately, so remote controlling in one session, importing pictures in the other.
    I will try connection settings' reset, I will also try to reset my XT2 to factory settings, perhaps it does not like some of my custom settings (like back button focus for instance).
    Call to Fuji might be an option as well.
    Thank you all again,
    Dom

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Regular

May 21, 2015
    My challenge is to actually get the phone to connect to the camera. Once I'm in there, I'm pretty much golden. I do have to say that I take photos only in JPG when remote, as the connection can be spotty for me. Processing - it almost sounds like either the phone is doing something, or the camera is. By any chance are you shooting RAW+JPG?

9. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    it also might help to trouble shoot to notice if the "processing" light on the back of the camera is flashing during this process

10. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    I did a complete reinstall of the Camera Remote App, but the 'processing' message keeps popping up.
    I tried both JPEGs only and JPEG/RAW, but this does not seem to affect this problem whatsoever.
    I did a reset of the wireless settings in my camera as well.

Interesting suggestion from Luke which led me to a bizzare find - after taking a shot light is indeed flashing on the back of a camera during this process - alternating green and orange. Furthermore, the camera itself seems hung - I cannot operate any buttons on it, cannot wake it up. The only option is to turn it off and on again.
    Looks to me like the app is taking over the complete control over the camera and freezes it.

Thank you in advance for your valuable suggestions,
    Dom

11. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Regular

May 21, 2015
    The amber/green light is usually an indication that the camera is writing to the card and cannot be interrupted. How old is your card? This may be a sign that the card is fairly slow. Replacing it with a newer, faster one may help?

12. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    Not the case, I got the fastest and most modern card for this camera, Lexar Professional, UHS-II Extreme Pro, 2000x. Got to be some other cause. Thanks anyway

13. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    To all of you who were kind enough to come in with your suggestions - big THANK YOU.
    I managed to pin down my problem to one particular setting which turned out to be crucial.
    In order to be able to focus continuously one needs to set the rear screen to lifeview mode, NOT the info mode.
    I always kept my back screen in the info mode to see all the settings and that particular configuration caused the app/camera connection to hang.
    Now having the rear screen on lifeview prior to establishing connection sets it up correctly and my problem is eliminated.
    Hope, someone will benefit from this in the future.
    Cheers
    Dom

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Excellent, Dom! Was the solution buried in the manual or did you just figure it out?

15. Luke

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The app must use the signal fed to the rear screen. Interesting. Glad you got your problem sorted out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Yeah this was fascinating. And it's searchable, so it WILL help somehone else, someday.

17. N4865G

N4865G FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Doha, Qatar
    Dominik Buszek
    Thanks, found the answer browsing Google with different combinations of key words.
    Good day
    Dom