Can a One Lens Camera Be your Favorite Traveler?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by caimi, Feb 8, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi New to FujiXspot

Feb 8, 2013
    DSCN0087-Edit.
    Fuji X100

eire11b.
    Oly Epl5 Pan 20mm

I used to think not. Like a lot of people I thought I needed an array of lenses when travelling in order to capture the sights of a place that wasn't my home. But the original Fuji X100 in Maine last year and, more recently, an Olympus EPL-5 with only a Panasonic 20mm a few months ago proved me wrong. Post your one lens adventures. .

• Like Like x 2
  2. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Does a X10 count as "one lens"? I haven't tried a single focal length only setup yet, but when I carried only the X100 and X10, it felt liberating not changing lenses. Closest I've ever come to one focal length only was using a 35mm lens on a M9. I also carried a 21, 50 and 75. But used the 35 about ninety percent of the time.

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    For me it can. When I travel, everything I see without a camera is from the same focal length. I think sometimes we are spoiled by choices.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    For me, it can (and probably should) be a PRIMARY choice, but not quite an only choice. I've done a couple of trips where my primary camera was the X100, but I had the LX5 along as well, for those occasions where 35mm just didn't work. I ended up using the LX5 very very little, but if I hadn't had it it available, there are times I'd have felt frustrated and limited. When I was in New York City for all of last April, I generally shot with one primary lens per day. Some days it was the Fuji 18mm on the X-Pro, somedays it was the Olympus 12mm on an m43 body. On the days I took the Fuji, I'd also have the 35mm available but VERY rarely switched over to it. And on the days I took the Olympus, I'd also have some sort of zoom lens available, but very rarely switched to it as well. So I have to have some level of option just to know its there if needed. But for the most part, I'm shooting with a single lens...

The vast majority of the best stuff I've ever shot, whether travelling or not, has been when I've taken one camera and one lens as a primary and shot almost exclusively with that. It seems to work, but I seem to have to know I have another possibility available, whether I ever reach for it or not...

-Ray

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

When I travel I find that I almost never change lenses even when I do bring more than one lens. I like the simplicity of it. Of course the question remains could I use just one focal length? The answer is yes but I wouldn't necessarily choose to do so. When I was shooting 4/3 I loved the Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5 for travel because it offered me a ton of flexibility. Fast enough for almost any situation, decent close focus ability, great image quality etc. Except for being a big large it was a great travel lens. When I travel it's not about the pictures it's about the the exploration and the adventure. The camera I take needs to fit into that meaning it needs to be fun, easy to use so if I had it over to that cool family from Portugal to take a picture of my wife, my son and I they know how it works without a long extended game of charades and my atrocious Portuguese and it need to be ready for those times when you want to snap a quick picture of that custard you love so much and wished you could get back home without having to get up and re-position yourself because you're too close or not close enough to the custard. I don't want to be be "that guy with the camera" on vacation.

Of the cameras I own I would take the Fuji X10 without a second thought. If I could choose any camera I would likely go with the XE-1 with the 18-55 kit lens.

6. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    I took an OM-D with 14mm, 20mm, 60mm & a 200mm FD macro lens on my last vacation. Also along for the ride was an RX1 (fixed 35mm lens) which I used almost the whole time. It was great for most stuff. It's amazing how little I missed the other stuff most of the time. However, bird and beach photography the RX1 didn't work too well. It just depends on what your travel activities and priorities are and what kind of photographic stuff you want to record.

7. Brian Kraft

Brian Kraft FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 3, 2013
  8. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    During my last five family vacations I've taken multiple camera and multiple lenses but ended up shooting 75% or more with a single camera and a single lens. Granted it wasn't the same camera and same lens that I favored on each of those five vacations, but the point is during each of those trips when I could have selected any number of lenses I "usually" defaulted to a favorite lens.

A single lens (even a fixed focal length rather than a zoom lens) can indeed make a great travel companion ... it's all up to the photographer and what you want.

For me, although I make time to capture photographic opportunities on vacation, the main reason I go on vacation is to relax and spend time having fun with my wife and children. Usually (for me at least) a single camera and a single small lens is the best choice for keeping the camera out of the way if I want to concentrate on the vacation more than the photography.

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    One lens is a great discipline. I regularly travel with "just the one", usually 50mm or equivalent thereof.

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I like having lens options when I travel -- after all, I bought the additional lenses to use -- but I would travel with less kit in the future than I did last year. For quite a while after I started photography, I had my OM and the 50mm "normal" lens, and nothing else. I took vacations with it and never felt deprived, and many SLR owners in those days never got more than the 50mm.

The way I shoot, I like having a 35, 50, and 90mm equivalent available to me. It's true I might miss the architectural detail way at the top of a building of interest without a long tele, but 95% of my shooting is done within that range.

The answer to your question is really personal, like so many photographic choices. For me, if I traveled with a fixed lens camera as my main shooter, I'd want a good compact with a zoom covering the range I mentioned along for the ride. The X100 and the X10 would do it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. garylh

garylh FujiXspot Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    My last vacation, I had Fuji x100 and Sony rx100. Originally my intent was use the rx100 as a backup and as well as to have pictures of my wife and I taken by strangers. By the end of the vacation, when I ran aperture smart filter on how many pictures from which camera, it turned out that somewhere between 35-40% were from the rx100. So maybe the rx100 could have been the single camera in my case since I do not own a x10. On the other hand, the new x20 could be as well. But I bought the rx100 because I wanted a camera that could fit in my jean pocket where u did not want to obvious about having a camera on u or for my everyday camera.

Gary

12. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    Yes. The 75mm equiv. is my current most used, followed by 50mm equiv.

13. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    You mean I'm going to use up my limited vacation time, travel to an amazing place I'll likely never visit again in my lifetime, and then place unnecessary restrictions on how I should photograph it? Umm, how do I answer this nicely...

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Well, if the priority is taking pictures I agree completely...for me however the priority is the experiencing the trip and photographs are secondary to that (even great ones). I remember one time sitting with a friend looking at a gorgeous sunset near where I live and he was distraught that the battery on his camera was dead. He spent so much time complaining about how he needed to get a picture to remember the beautiful colors that he missed the sunset entirely. He would have done better just sitting back and taking it all in.

15. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You have an RX1? You're my hero. :D

16. caimi

caimi New to FujiXspot

Feb 8, 2013
    I view it as a creative restriction but I am in the habit of using the same focal length about 90% of the time.

17. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's not even that. I use a camera as a travel AID, not a restriction or annoyance. A camera helps me to want to seek out that sunset, or keep walking into the next part of town, or keep exploring that old castle, or take that bumpy bus ride into the mountains. A camera doesn't have to blinker you to what is happening around you. Don't believe your wife: multi-tasking is real and men have been capable of doing it for a long, long time.

However I do agree that the guy in your example would have been better of just accepting the problem and enjoying the sunset, but he also would have avoided the problem by doing some advance planning if taking a picture of the sunset was that important to him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Had, unfortunately.

19. Archiver

Archiver FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    For me, the act of photography on holiday is as much a part of the enjoyment as actually being there. I consider a holiday partially wasted if I do not bring back considerable photographic evidence that it occurred!

I went to Hong Kong for two weeks in January and took two system cameras and a slew of lenses. All of the lenses were used at some point, and while a normal range zoom seemed most used, I also used wides (21mm) all the way to tele primes (150mm equivalent). Changing lenses was a bit of a hassle, but a small price to pay to be able to capture what I wanted. And I certainly don't mind being 'that guy with a camera' on holiday. Heck, I'm the guy with three cameras.

It would therefore be extremely difficult for me to travel with just one lens, unless it was a decent normal range zoom. I like a good wide angle, 28mm minimum, to capture the scenery, and at least 75mm to capture portraits, close ups, and get that perspective set. If I had to choose a compact camera for this purpose, it would be the X10. For a system camera, either the Olympus OM-D, or maybe the X-E1 plus the standard zoom. And I'd still be tempted to bring a fast prime or two. Brian's photos of Hawaii are the absolute bomb, but I just would not feel like I had 'enough' if I only had a 35mm eq.

20. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Now a camera as excuse to do cool stuff...I'm all over that. I've used it as an excuse to explore places that common sense should have kept me out of. :2thumbs: