Can anyone recommend a protective glass filter?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by rpavich, Jul 12, 2013.

1. rpavich

rpavich FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 10, 2013
    I got the cheap LLC lens hood, and the B&W clear protective filter for my new X100S.

I took a few shots but it seemed that the filter imparted a lot of ghosting and just degraded the image quality too much. Does anyone have experience with a good glass filter that they KNOW won't do any damage to the image quality?

I'd LIKE to use this filter but NOT at the expense of IQ...uh uh.

here is a comparison shot...you can tell which is which.

Attached Files:

2. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    that's odd, I think that shouldn't be happening. I'd like to hear other people's thoughts and advice on this issue too, since I'm looking for a protective filter for my X100...

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    OK...I could be wrong, but that first shot looks OK to me except it has a very shallow DOF so everything other than the last couple lines of text looks soft, but I don't think that is a function of the filter....that's shooting wide open and focusing at a close distance. Were they both shot using the same aperture and the same focal point? FWIW, I'm a firm believer in no protection, but I do understand that others do not share that belief.

4. rpavich

rpavich FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 10, 2013
  5. Tdp

Tdp Guest

B&W makes very high quality filters, as long as they are clean and you have no fogging from temperature changes they shouldn't cause any problems.

6. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ New to FujiXspot

Jul 13, 2013
    I'm using a Hoya Pro1 digital on my XE1's zoom. No problems to report. Very thin, which is a plus, although the lens cap has accidentally come off once or twice. Something to look out for.

For the record, while it's possible there may be some very slight degradation in IQ from using filters, it's going to be pretty hard to spot if the filter's of decent quality and kept clean. Had a smash while traveling last year with my Canon - no particular lack of care, just one of those things - and was glad I had a filter on my lens. The filter's glass was completely smashed. The glass of the lens itself was fine - not a mark.

7. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    make sure the lens' moving part (whilst focusing) isn't hitting the filter.

(looks like a stk battery)

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

8. rpavich

rpavich FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 10, 2013
    It is STK..and I found out the hard way about putting the glass filter on first...it kept hitting the lens and I'd get an error....finally figured out to put the adapter on first and THEN the filter..lol..

9. romi.gilles

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    nice to know you have it squared away.

10. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    +1

11. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I did a test with my FF cameras ... no protective filter vs. cheap protective filters vs. better protective filters vs. best protective filters. At 100% I couldn't see any difference between the three categories of filters and no filter.

When shooting into a light source, the more expensive filters significantly reduced flare and ghosting (ala multi-coated), but other than that ... there wasn't a significant difference.

12. Tdp

Tdp Guest

Also, I think B&W's brass body holds up better than aluminum ones from other companies. Also the N in ND on a B&W is actually N, not blue.

13. bartjeej

bartjeej FujiXspot Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    from what I read, the higher-class B+W filters are also a lot easier to clean if you get dust/water/grease on them, which is a major plus for me since I'm looking to use the camera on a backpacking trip.

14. Bobji

Bobji New to FujiXspot

Jul 14, 2013
    How about Fuji's own filters. They seemed to work quite well when I used them in Florida by the surf and tuff.

15. romi.gilles

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    another note on the b+w - they use schott glass (from zeiss).

16. rpavich

rpavich FujiXspot Rookie

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok...I went back and did a real test at f/4 and there is no difference whatsoever in IQ between the filter and no filter...at least in the circumstance that I used it in...it may be more prone to lens flare or something in another circumstance; I don't know.

Here is a sample of my keys close up with the glass filter on it. DSCF0389.