A couple from London

mmacleodbrown

Regular
On the way to work this morning, the dawn light was really nice, lent a pinkish glow to everything..

A couple from Vauxhall bridge

I have always loved Battersea Power station, it really is an iconic building..

5251159025_5bb35fc866_b.jpg

IMG_0522
5251763792_de6425603d_b.jpg

IMG_0524
Then on the way home, from Regents Park

5251764108_29ca22c7f2_b.jpg

And one more from just along from Battersea bridge, this was at a higher ISO and you can see where the S95 struggles a little bit, even with a tabletop tripod..

5251765008_0476f4db2f_b.jpg

Thought it was about time I stopped asking questions and posted some pictures :D

I like the first two, the second better for the closer framing. That's just GOT to be the power station used on Pink Floyd's "Animals" album cover with the floating pig between the stacks. Any idea if it is?

-Ray

Martin, these all look great but we need to see them in a much larger form, please? There is no way one can fully appreciate the details and light and beauty in these images when they are this small - and we want to. That pinkish glow on the power station shots is lovely.

So, when you can, I'd be forever grateful if you'd share all your pictures in a much larger form. There, I promise I won't harangue you again - I promise!;)

Martin, these all look great but we need to see them in a much larger form, please? There is no way one can fully appreciate the details and light and beauty in these images when they are this small - and we want to. That pinkish glow on the power station shots is lovely.

So, when you can, I'd be forever grateful if you'd share all your pictures in a much larger form. There, I promise I won't harangue you again - I promise!;)

BB - wait until he starts using his DSLR - his LX5 is only a small camera

Pshaw! Bill, there are plenty of us who use the LX5 and the S90 and S95... All these serious compacts need to have their images shown in their full glory, how else can we appreciate them?:D

The problem with larger images is that they show up the errors in technique.. :)

But how can I refuse when asked so nicely?

They are now larger and the link to download the full size jpeg is there as well, I still have the RAW files, so maybe can improve them a bit, but Im wary of doing anything that might destroy that light, as it really was a beautiful pink dawn.

Bill - I have the S95, not the LX5 as it was just a teeny bit to big for my pocket...

See, I knew it! They're stunning in their full glory!:bravo-009: Thank you thank you! There appears to be a problem with the third one. You should try embedding that code again. Just found you on Flickr, too.:D

These photographs look wonderful Martin! Of your "pinks" my favorite is the second with the boat heading towards us. I also am smitten with that night shot of the cityscape and water. Really nicely done.

As for losing anything in RAW usually it's the other way around - you gain, but you do need to have good software and I can't remember what you're using. Keep the RAW files because even though you don't believe it now - 9 times out of 10 you can bring out even more beauty. Is it necessary, no...not all the time, not to some folks anytime, but you might enjoy checking it out when you have the proper software.

Meanwhile congratulations on a lovely set!!!:th_salute:

Why thank you BB - appreciated.. :D
I need to sort out my collection as I have nearly 600 photo's on the S95 of which 85-90% are throw away, so before I get to serious with lightroom, I need to have a clear out.
thanks for the heads up, as I will keep any RAW files for pictures that I like or think I can repair..
I cycle past the powerstation every day, so I will be keeping an eye on it as each day the light is different, so expect some more at some point as it is one of my favourite buildings. It was a sunset behind it that made me buy my S95 in the first place as I was sick of seeing it and not having a camera..
I plan on taking my dslr down to redo that night cityscape, as my poor S95 really struggled with that one, alot of noise at 800 ISO, so I will try again (once I have my head round the multitude of options that the K20D gives me..)

I left the 3rd one intentionally as it looked pretty poor when I looked at it full size. It is on my list as one to learn from and retake at some point..

Bill - I have the S95, not the LX5 as it was just a teeny bit to big for my pocket...

S95 - me too - in my pocket most of the time - not too much control over the f values - but a great little camera that make big pictures

nothing at all wrong with your technique - keep shooting

Cheers

not too much control over the f values - but a great little camera that make big pictures

Cheers

yeah, Im struggling with that a little bit as I cant see much value in taking it off 'auto' mode, as there isn't that much I can do to change a shot..
My preferred method is to take the first shot in auto and then try a range of f-stops and see what it gives me..

I left the 3rd one intentionally as it looked pretty poor when I looked at it full size.
No, Martin what I meant is that it is not showing up properly for me - I am on Safari. I'll check it on Firefox but about a third of the way down the photo becomes large blocks of grey for me.

Keep up the great work!

Grey Day in London

Tagging these two on to this thread as they were also taken in London. The light is very different though! NEX 5 and 16mm kit lens. (Taken through the cab windows).

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

Back