Choosing an third party lens adapter

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by bok3h, Oct 30, 2013.

1. bok3h

bok3h New to FujiXspot

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi Rico,
    I'm considering making the "switch to X" from Canon to Fuji X-E2 but I was kind of disappointed with x-mount lenses choice (in quantity). Every fuji lens is high quality but the 56 mm is still missing and will probably be too expensive for me.

And then I saw your flickr set and noticed that you used a Helios 44M-4.
    Until then I only considered M Mount glass like Voigtländer, but still : not cheap...
    I was amazed by the quality of your shots with the Helios so I looked for adapters and the prices are very different between brands (12€ to 89€)

Why did you choose the Novoflex over a cheaper one ? (kiwi, kipon)
    What do we have to pay attention to when choosing an adapter for a third party lens in general ?

Thank you very much !
    I really appreciate reading your x-pert corners on fujirumors :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The Novoflex has a built-in pin to lock the lens aperture at its current setting, the cheaper converter before didn't, and I was tired of buying another one from China with false or misleading advertising.

My Helios lens cost me 12 pounds, pretty good value, methinks. The adapter cost a multiple of that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bok3h

bok3h New to FujiXspot

Oct 30, 2013
  4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yes, seems to be the one. Mine is black and metal. Novoflex makes the best converters on the planet, but also the most expensive ones. Mine was a bit cheaper, though, around 80 Euros somewhere Amazon, basically 4 times as much as I paid for the lens that is attached to it. Just crazy.

5. bok3h

bok3h New to FujiXspot

Oct 30, 2013
    Do you know an adapter with a button that allows to set the aperture at its maximum to focus properly, and revert back to the selected aperture when depressed ?
    Like an inverted "depth-of-field preview button" ?

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Nope, but such an adapter would be nice for lenses that support this feature.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Bumping this up for you Garry since you "accidentally" bought a Fuji XE1 and asked for advice over in your intro for an adapter for your OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8. I was afraid your question might get lost in that thread so hope this one will get you some answers.

Of course you can start a brand new thread, too.:friends:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Semion

Semion FujiXspot Regular

Aug 11, 2014
    I am looking for an adapter to mount Helios M39 on X-T1. So far, I saw only Leica M39 to Fuji adapters. Will they work with Helios?

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    L39 is the LTM ("Leica Thread Mount") standard, M39 was, if I recall, different in thread pitch and used for enlarger lenses. M42 is a different, larger standard sometimes referred to as "Pentax Screwmount".

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Whatever happened to "2nd party" lenses? ;)