Close to getting a X-E1, but...

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by battleaxe, Jul 1, 2014.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe FujiXspot Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I'm thinking maybe shoot with the X-E1 for a year or so and then once the X-E2/3 body comes down to $330 or less move to that, but I have a few questions and reservations. I played with it in store, and it was nice, but I kind of preferred the grip of the X-M1 better, not to mention the display. Which, then has me thinking maybe go with the X-M1, but then I loose out on EVF(which I prefer for MF) and the better kit lens. OTOH X-M1 does offer a much better display that tilts with wifi built in. This brought the question, besides the Fuji add-on grip, are there third party grips for the X-E1? Is the AF on the X-E1 really that bad, specially in lower light? If anyone has shot with a Sony SLT(A3x, A5x, A65), or one of the earlier m4/3 cameras(GF3 or older), how does the AF compare? What about in terms of tracking vs older m4/3 cameras?

If I do go X-E1 route I plan to get it from KEH, but is there anything to look out for? Or do you think I should wait a few months/weeks for a potential drop on the X-E2 prices? Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have large hands and I "customised" (and transformed) the handling of my X-E1 with an iShoot grip (readily available from eBay) and a Match Technical ThumbsUp. The camera felt secure and glued to my hand, even with longer and heavier lenses. I am now doing the same with my X-Pro.Having had an X-M1 for a while as a backup camera, I would take the viewfinder route every time.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  3. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    Do you have pics of your X-E1 with the grip? Do you sometimes feel that the display isn't as nice(or useful because of the lack of tilting), vs the X-M1?

4. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Here you go...
    33678943.cb173fb5.1024.
    Fuji X-E1 with iShoot Grip and Match Technical ThumbsUp 4 par Lightmancer, on ipernity
    33678941.08c3267e.1024.
    Fuji X-E1 with iShoot Grip and Match Technical ThumbsUp 3 par Lightmancer, on ipernity
    33678937.5495ac70.1024.
    Fuji X-E1 with iShoot Grip and Match Technical ThumbsUp 1 par Lightmancer, on ipernity
    33678935.2dab538a.1024.
    Fuji X-E1 with iShoot Grip and Match Technical ThumbsUp 2 par Lightmancer, on ipernity
    33678933.f048df43.1024.
    Fuji X-E1 with iShoot Grip and Match Technical ThumbsUp 5 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

I should be clear that I detest tilty screens. I have taped the one down on my X-T1. I only ever compose with an EVF/OVF when one is available; it makes me feel more "connected" and gives a more stable grip. The only exception I make is my Ricoh GR, and if they ever bring one out with a pop-up EVF like the new Sony I will be there like a shot. If on the other hand they bring one out with a tilty or touch screen I won't be downgrading ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    That's a pretty solid looking grip. Now to decide if I want a silver or black X-E1. Hmmm.

6. Burkey

Burkey FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Northern New England
    David
    I use a Match Technical "Thumbs Up" on my X-E1, (and X-Pro1), too. A great addition, beautifully made. Good luck.
    . . . David

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I use a Lensmate thumb rest in lieu of the Match Technical version; about half the price. I've added a combination grip and L-bracket as well; it's not branded iShoot but it could be made in the same factory. Both the thumb rest and grip/bracket are usable on the X-E2 as well.

8. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I am more interested in a grip for the front than the back(unless the one on the back proves to be more useful to me, so I guess I would need to try it out in store), but thank you!

9. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I keep reading about how the X-trans has some issues with rendering green properly/cleanly. It has me second guessing a bit about going the X-E1 route and thinking maybe X-A1(specially at the prices a two lens kit is going for). I pretty much get the same color output, DR(?), and high ISO capabilities as the X-trans models, but without the green issue that has some X users frustrated. I do shoot a good bit of green when hiking(but it's mostly desert green out by where I am at in California). It almost has me thinking ignore X camera and long distance wildlife for a while until this issue gets resolved and just start building up lenses?

10. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Let me put it this way. I live in England. It's green. Properly green. I've not been bothered by this "issue" in the last two years.

11. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    What is the recommended quality 3rd party battery?

12. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    Just an update; I won an X-E1 off ebay today with the 27mm prime, & compact grip for a good bit less than what the body + lens combo cost separately. The only down side is the body has a little over 10 moths left on the warranty, but the lens has no warranty(or it doesn't work in the States, not really clear).

13. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    That's a good combo. Love the 27mm for it's focal length and compactness.

14. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    Is there anything I should know about the 27mm? Any general tips(for either the X-E1 or the 27mm)? I always wanted to get the Panasonic 20mm(also 40mm equiv) for my GF3, and if I do like the focal length, I still may do get it. Then maybe sell 27mm and put it towards either the 23mm, or something else that may catch my eye, but that a good while from now. But, my next purchase will be third party battery, and legacy lens adapter to use a few MF lenses and one of the kit zooms(the price of the 16-50mm is really tempting, as I'm seeing it go for like a $130 on ebay right now). Is there any suggestions on a 3rd party battery?

15. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    The 27 wins for compact size, hands down. I'd rate it about 90% of the sharpness of the really good XF glass (14, 35, 56), which is more than good enough when you're just shooting things for yourself (which also often when you want a very compact package). One thing to note: if you put in manual focus and twist all the way out, it will focus PAST infinity, so if you're doing a big landscape shot or a long exposure (anything you might normally manually focus out to infinity for), beware. I thought mine was soft as hell until I figured that out. OH -- and the B+W brand polarizing filter for it is pretty cheap at K&H, like 30-something bucks, and it makes a great general daylight use filter for it. I leave mine on unless it gets dark.

16. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I received my X-E1 today and 27mm. Not to fan of the stock handling, but with the compact Fuji grip it's enjoyably better. As a nice bonus I noticed it has a screen protector, but sadly there is spec of like white dust underneath it :-/ The 27mm is like Panasonic 14mm light, and the body is pretty compact, even compared to my GF3. I haven't turn it on yet as it's charging; but, the only other downside imho is the fact the charger is a two piece unit vs Panasonic, and Sony which are a one piece unit(ie power plug is built in).

The only other thing I am going to buy right now is another battery, a lens adapter for MF lens I have and maybe the 16-50mm kit lens(like of like the idea of the 24mm wide angle). Eeep.

17. walker

walker FujiXspot Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Italy, Northeast
    Nice pair! I'm pretty sure you will love the XF27mm. I love it and since when I've bought it my X-M1 has not worn any other lens. That said I'm thinking of selling the gorgeous 16-50mm.

Enjoy!

18. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Agreed that this can be a bit of a pain. Once solution is to use the plug piece from an Apple powerblock AC adapter or purchase a substitiute like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Apple...&qid=1405522622&sr=8-1&keywords=apple+ac+plug

19. battleaxe

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I really do like the 27mm size a lot and the quality in my around the house testing seems to be pretty nice, the only downside for me would be if I needed something wider than a 40mm(35mm equiv) view, which has me thinking maybe 18mm instead of 16-50mm. I take the 18mm also lacks IS?

The biggest downside I noticed for my needs is the fact that focus peaking color is only white, with no other options. Coming from Sony system red was my color of choice as it was noticeable with more stuff than white.

20. walker

walker FujiXspot Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Italy, Northeast
    yep, I'm really interested in this lens and yes it lacks OIS. Concerning the focus peaking color I suggest you to contact Fuji and ask them to add more colors in the focus peaking. The more, the better :)