Colour or B&W?

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by Westender, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Westender

Westender FujiXspot Regular

What's your take on the colour or B&W versions of this one?

DSCF1912.JPG DSCF1912BW.JPG

2. Adam Bonn

Adam Bonn FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 13, 2016
    Porto
    Adam Bonn
    Colour for me!

Why?

Well I generally prefer colour

But also you've got some lovely soft colours going on in the shot, for example the shrubbery on the l/h river bank, and to my eye this just gets mixed into a similar tonal value in the BW version

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I agree with Adam. The color version has a lot of subtle tones that get lost in the B&W version. The blues in the bridge supports and sky that get reflected by the river add a lot to the first image.

4. Westender

OP here . . thanks for the input guys, I agree with all you've said. The bright green moss on the rocks under the 'eye' of the bridge and the red lamp posts on the right catch my eye and add interesting detail in the clolour version that is lost in the B&W. B&W often adds a retro feel for me.

5. Nick Ingamells

Nick Ingamells New to FujiXspot

Feb 27, 2017
    Southsea, UK
    I agree with the colour (or color) guys above - some lovely tones. However, if you've taken a shot (perhaps from the right) with more railings, bridge etc then maybe the b&w would work. Any chance of a re-shoot to see?

6. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Definitely the colour version!

7. Safari

Safari FujiXspot Regular

Dec 26, 2015
    Same as others.
    For me it's the sunshine on the left bank. It comes through instantly in the moss, trees and shrubs, then you notice the red lamp posts on the right, then other subtler colours. So there's just more to appreciate in the colour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Westender

Likely won't be back in that area for a while . . but I'll give your suggestion a go next time I'm there and add the new perspective shot to the thread so we can see if it changes 'our' perspective on the shot. Thnx.

9. Westender

Yes there is More to appreciate in the colour version . . and I think I was wondering if there was a little too much going on in the image . . curved lines versus straight, colours drawing the eye to different parts of the image, reflections, etc. . . and if the B&W helped minimize some of those elements that (for me) draw my attention away from the eye of the bridge reflection as the main subject of the image? Just a different way of looking at it I guess.

10. Haswell

Haswell FujiXspot Regular

Oct 20, 2016
    Paul
    The colour version pops.