Complementing my lens collection

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Matero, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Matero

Matero FujiXspot Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,
    I've just turned to Fuji world and planning to complement my lens collection. I prefer shooting with primes, so looking now two lenses, one for wide side and one for small tele.
    I've already decided to save money for XF 56mm but the wide side keeps me thinking.

As a first thought I looked for XF 23mm f/1.4 but now also started to think maybe the XF 14mm f/2.8 could be better one because I already have 35mm "normal" lens, XF 35mm f/1.4.

Any thoughts or advice here? Is step from 35mm to 23mm enough, in your opinion? Price is not issue here because 14mm is only marginally lower price than 23mm. Size is almost same for these lenses, right? So it comes to FOV and aperture, 14mm is wider but 23mm is faster. You may see my problem...

Thanks in advance!

2. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    If you don't have much experience (sounds like it, but I could be wrong) with wide angles then using a 14mm as your wide lens is probably going to end in tears. It's a big jump in angle from the 35mm and isn't an obvious choice for walk around shooting. I have the 18mm and sometimes find that a bit wide without cropping, but that's a matter of taste.

What you haven't told us is what you like to shoot. If you do a lot of architecture on a tripod it'll be rather different from 'street'.

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Matero, I have both the 14 (21mm fov) and the 23 (35mm fov) as well as the 35 (and 27). There is a world of difference between the two and at least in my experience one is not a substitute for the other. The "holy trinity" of focal lengths was always 35-50-90 and you are very close to that with 23-35-56 (or substituting the 60 for the 56, almost spot-on).

Speed is another consideration. 23-35-56 is 1.4-1.4-1.2 which is a pretty killer set-up for low-light work. The 14 is VERY wide - which is good if that is what you want, but it is quite hard to master.

What is your "base" field of view? By this I mean how do you "see" the world? I work mostly in 50mm terms, so 35mm is wide to me, but if you work with 35 as a base, you may find 21mm more to your liking.

Don't forget the 18 (28mm fov) either!

4. Matero

Matero FujiXspot Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sorry, I saved keystrokes in a wrong place. I'm not beginner, but not a pro either. If you're interested in, here is more of my story: https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?t=3213

I mainly shoot handheld, almost never use tripod. Just for fireworks or like. I like shooting street and candids, architecture or actually "city landscapes" if there is such a category :) and wabi sabi or minimalism pictures.

Occasionaly portraits and social events like weddings etc, but not for money, just for fun and memories.

5. Matero

Matero FujiXspot Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks, some times things are easy. Your answer just helped me to sort out my confusion :)

I see the world mostly through 50mm equiv. so started with XF35mm. And I feel need for wider when inside eg. churches, so stupid me, of course faster then is better and 23mm feels wider compared to normal view. And 56mm to complement 'holy trinity'. I've been messing so much with the gear and different, excellent lenses that this time I'm aiming to really minimal gear and will stick to three primes, that I've already decided. Later I'll get longer zoom for random need to get closer, for example in zoo or like.

I'm sticking now to my (future) Fuji gear and start again develop my skills, and trying really hard to learn PP. Although I find myself thinking that SOOC JPEGs are sooo good nowadays and kind of real, authentic and not really need PP to pop up my photos. But the geek in me just want to play with tones, mostly towards vintage/retro style (I know, I'm dinosaur) to mimic old film era.

But thanks, this is sorted out now :)

6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    We sound very similar in subject matter and approach! I have effectively built up two Fuji-based "systems" - an X-Pro 1-based set of primes that all fits in a tiny bag, and a bulkier X-T1-centred "twin zoom" set of 18-55 and 55-200. Thus I have a purist "rangefinder" and an "SLR" kit. My 14mm and 27mm "float" between the two base sets, and of course ALL lenses are interchangeable - kit nirvana for someone like me who ran Leica M alongside Contax then Leica R then Nikon for many years. The only thing missing for me today is a longer lens for sport and wildlife, but I am working on that...

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1